Coturnix Quail and Coccidiosis

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys. Im currently treating my chicken flock for coccidiosis. I had 6 that were looking bad but I thonk i got on top of it just in time. Lost two teenager chicks but everyone has has improved greatly. My question is are quail affected by this. I checked my quail today and one was dead and one is sitting on its rump having trouble walking? No other signs by the rest of the flock? Should i treat as a preventative just in case its got to them? Whays the dosage for addi g corid to their water? TIA

Quail can get coccidiosis, yes. I'd treat them if they've been near the chickens. As for the dosis, I think I'd do the same as with chickens - being a smaller bird, they'll drink less and as such the amount of medication should automatically be adjusted like that. But I'm not sure.

It's worth treating to be sure, but that "sitting on her rump" hen sounds like she might be egg bound :hmm.

Dosing information I've read mentioned that quail take a smaller dose due to their bodyweight, but the sources were conflicting on the exact dose. However, larger amounts can't hurt them in the time it takes to treat the parasite because of the way the drug works. I'd go with the dose you give your chickens, maybe a splash less.

Back
Top Bottom