Urgent help please!!

Birds1243

Chirping
Dec 23, 2023
Unfortunately my male quail is very unwell. This has happened all of a sudden as he was fine midday but nearer evening time he became very sleepy, tired, keeps shutting eyes, lump near throat area. Not eating or drinking, blood a few times in poo. Very slight redness around backside. I’m thinking it could be Coccidiosis but not certain. Could someone confirm? Or what else this could this be? How can I treat him??

Pictures?

What does his poop look like?
How many quail do you have?
How old is he?
What are you feeding him?
Can you post pictures of his home?
Will get pics in morning :) I am not sure of his exact age as I didn’t have him as a chick. He is older than 8 months though. Gamebird feed/layers pellets. Any ideas what he could have?

I have been fortunate enough to not have a lot of experience with disease. Coccidiosis comes from eating their poop and usually only occurs if they are living in dirty conditions.

The pictures and answers to all of the above questions will help with diagnosis, but take it with a grain of salt since we can't actually examine your bird or run tests.

@007Sean will probably have a better idea than I do.

I have been fortunate enough to not have a lot of experience with disease. Coccidiosis comes from eating their poop and usually only occurs if they are living in dirty conditions.

The pictures and answers to all of the above questions will help with diagnosis, but take it with a grain of salt since we can't actually examine your bird or run tests.

@007Sean will probably have a better idea than I do.
Oh okay. Well I can assure you their home is cleaned out nearly everyday, food and water regularly within the day. Would never let those little guys live in a dirty home.

What does his poop look like?
What is his home like?
As for his feed, do you have the nutrition label from it?
Pictures of his poop, setup, and him would be very helpful.

@Nabiki @007Sean any chance it could be a goiter? As he does have a lump around his throat area.
I'm no vet but it's hard to know what's wrong just by looking or describing the symptoms. If you can afford it, see a vet....now my 2cts. a goiter would not cause it to have bloody poops.

Back
Top Bottom