Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Quote:
No one needs to know otherwise IMO!
smile.png
Its your birds as long as you dont release them I dont personally see the problem with it but that's just me!
smile.png
I say that though, with the fact that im allowed to have them here in PA. If iwasnt allowed i'd be a liil paranoid i think lol!

Thanks for the response.
I am starting my apprenticship for falconry, so there will be visits from fish and game for inspections. Guess I'll have to call and verify before starting up. I don't need to find out by "accident" that I needed a permit.
I'll let y'all know when I find out for sure.

Quote:
Yes please do so i can add it to the main post
smile.png

I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU!!!! What bird are you hoping to do falcontry with when you're offically a falcontry person (haha sorry id ont know the true wording for that).

I'd love a redtail or even a lil kestral OR a snowy owl
big_smile.png
I'd love to do it but i dont know of anyone locally i can apprentice off of.
hit.gif
whoever would i'd surely supply them with quail meat for their time!!! LOL!

Quote:
I'm looking forward to flying a female redtail. Plenty of cottontail and jackrabbit to hunt.

The word is "falconer".
cool.png

Quote:
There are plenty of falconers in Pa. Quail would be a sugnificant "bribe". Most are always open to hawk food.
Will send a pm with more info.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to flying a female redtail. Plenty of cottontail and jackrabbit to hunt.

The word is "falconer".
cool.png

Quote:
There are plenty of falconers in Pa. Quail would be a sugnificant "bribe". Most are always open to hawk food.
Will send a pm with more info.

thanks again for the info!!!
celebrate.gif

Just got off the phone with DFG. After about a dozen calls I finally got someone who knew the answer.

As long as the birds are for personal/private use there are no licenses or permits required. WooHoo I don't need a permit.
celebrate.gif

If you have birds for sale, that may require a gamebird breeders permit. Would require more research to get an answer to for the spacific situation.

Hope that helps.

Edited to note that my questions were spacific to coturnix quail, other species may have a different answer, especially species that are found in natural wild populations in your area.

Last edited:
As requested:
I looked up the references that you gave for laws by state on your Coturnix education post. Thought you might want to update the info for Arizona. Here is a summary of the pertinent law (R12-4-419. Game Bird Hobby License):
The Department shall only issue a license for the following game bird species:
a. Blue grouse, Dendragapus obscurus;
b. California or valley quail, Callipepla californica;
c. Chukar, Alectoris chukar;
d. Gambel's quail, Callipepla gambelii;
e. Montezuma or Mearns' quail, Cyrtonyx montezumae;
f. Northern bobwhite, Colinus virginianus, which only requires a game bird hobby license if used in game management units 34A, 36A, 36B, and 36C;
g. Ringneck and whitewing pheasant, Phasianus colchicus;
h. Scaled quail, Callipepla squamata;

Japanese Quail and Chinese Painted Quail are not listed. Also, you can buy both of these quail at local pet store/feed stores.

I read here that you need a permit inoregon to have quail , So I called the number and got sent to someone who sent me to someone else who called me today and said as long as I have privte property to put them on and I wasnt saleing chicks or adults I didnt need a liscience but I did need to call a local fish and game guy and get written permisson.
Does this sound odd to anyone but me:/

Back
Top Bottom