Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I have what I think is an A&M, well it has to be cause thats the only quail i have that are white, but this one is completely white with no black spots and lays completely white eggs. Is this a mutation of the A&M's?

The white birds are English Whites. "Texas A&M's" are really just a mutt English White. The Texas A&M project only produced a few generations of white birds, over 30 years ago. Depending on the genetics of the bird, it can have no spots as the the original English whites, they are usually smaller as well. Or it can have a single spot, single pied. And some have the dark spot on the head along with brown spots on wings or back, Double pied. The white egg is abnormal. Its usually caused by stress or a very young bird. Its my guess the white eggs will pass....

monarc23, thank you so much for compiling all this excellent information in once place!
thumbsup.gif
We hatched 11 of the Texas A&M and two of the Jumbo Brown Coturnix this past week. They are our first quail and I think we are really going to enjoy them.

Hello all! I'm new to owning quail, but cared for them when a friend needed help. The eggs I've seen were all a pale olive to a creamy color, with the brown spots, but today I got something completely different. Has anybody seen/heard of a purple egg???
hu.gif

Quote: Thank you for this info, I thought the A&M were the white ones. Shows how much I know about these little babies. I need all the help I can get.

With regards to Quail being kept for singing abilities, I read that its was in Japan, that blood line was developed and prized, but the the 2nd world war they were got rid of, presumbly eaten....???

Is there anyone that would sell hatching eggs and take a money order? I dont have paypal and I am very interested in gettin a dozen or 2. They are gonna be used for meat/eggs so I guess the jumbos would work best but I like the colored ones as well. So maybe a dozen jumbo for meat, and a dozen mixed colored for eggs. let me know.

Back
Top Bottom