Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

My question to the world of quail keepers:

How many of you have flight pens?

How many use restricted flight pens?

And what you see as pros or cons to each where you are.

This thread has gone on for 80 pages and a fresh discussion might not be a bad thing.

I have Coturnix in a variety of colors and ages, northern bobwhites and a lonely Tennessee red (which would not be alone if the other 10 hadn't escaped
idunno.gif
) I am breeding for a continuous meat supply and would like to raise them for sale in the near future. I also keep chickens, chukars and a pig going. As of now I have the quail all in restricted flight enclosures and some in roll out egg cages lined aside of one another. I am considering a taller enclosure with more floor room.

Pros and cons:

Pros to an open flooring:
poop and mess falls through
eggs caught in the mesh makes for cleaner eggs.

Cons:

Less insulation in winter time
need trays for multi level setups
When aside of each other they can pace to get to the guy or gals next door.

Thanks for the detailed info! I went and got a pair of golden cortornix today. They are really pretty. I still have a few more weeks before they start mating. Happy happy

I am a first time owner of Coturnix Quail. What do the females sound like? I have a lot that sound like doves cooing. Is that a female call? So far I only have one male doing its call, but lots of rust colored chests.

I have a hen who makes cricket chirping noises, like someone in a cartoon told a bad joke. I've also heard her do a long whistle, but never a dove coo. She is head hen and the most vocal of the 5 of them, I've only heard "leave me alone!" squeaks from the others when chased by the male

One of my only 5 week old hens has laid her first egg. It's small but perfect otherwise. I've never had one lay this early. Should I worry??

I am bringing some of mine to our county fair tomorrow for the "little hands on the farm" exhibit and I thought I would include a little report type thing in case anyone was interested... if you don't mind I would like to quote from your posting. It is very through and I enjoyed it so I am sure they will too. Thank you for putting this together! Sincerely~ Michele Keeley

Back
Top Bottom