Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Hmmmmm, so do you think if I process freeze dried beef and sprinkled it in that would be suitable? People seem to feed regular chick crumbles when theyre super small, then a high protein mix once theyre bigger.
I was eyeing my chicky babes food this morning and will start soaking it for them, I have a bin full of barley so will toss some through there too, theyre going to be so excited
smile.png
I would consider using liver, it can be fed raw. Good protein content and easy to digest.

At how many weeks can the ecoglow be taken out of the brooder if they quail are kept indoor to feather out?
watch how they act, normally once they are fully feathered they are fine. If they stay away from the heat, they dont need it anymore.
So what proportion? Or just adlib? Very rich food ... little ferocious dinosaur relatives
wink.png
I would think an ounce per bird should be a good estimate, but I am guessing on it. I plan to try it with mine. Be sure to offer grit with a whole food, so they can digest it.

I'm trying to feed my birds an all organic diet since their eggs will be for personal consumption, after much research on the subject I came to the conclusion that there isn't any organic feed out there with enough protein for quails. My solution, I buy scratch and peck starter feed and supplemented with grown beef. My quails are 8 weeks old now and seemed to be very content with their feed. I divided one pound into 5 portions, every morning I mix one of the portions with their feed.

I'm trying to feed my birds an all organic diet since their eggs will be for personal consumption, after much research on the subject I came to the conclusion that there isn't any organic feed out there with enough protein for quails. My solution, I buy scratch and peck starter feed and supplemented with grown beef. My quails are 8 weeks old now and seemed to be very content with their feed. I divided one pound into 5 portions, every morning I mix one of the portions with their feed.
Organic is very difficult to achieve, but sounds like you have a great plan!

#1, Bought a trio of coturnix,little over a month ago ,and put 16 eggs in incubator this was #1, totally new to poultry, will keep these peeps indoors for the next 20 weeks , the two hens lay every day and the roo is happy . On a steep learning curve, amazing creatures,glad I found this site.

#1, Bought a trio of coturnix,little over a month ago ,and put 16 eggs in incubator this was #1, totally new to poultry, will keep these peeps indoors for the next 20 weeks , the two hens lay every day and the roo is happy . On a steep learning curve, amazing creatures,glad I found this site.
welcome-byc.gif
and congrats to you! They are so fun and easy to keep.

just hatched my first ones ever too..they are just so neat! what a cutie! best tv ever!

Back
Top Bottom