Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

If your ok with handle'n "toilet parts"....Just apply a small amount of pressure with your thumb and forefinger. Just above and below the vent...... just enough to make it pucker a bit should work. You will also find foam in a hen's vent from time to time if she is in a pen with a cock bird. A crowing bird is much more dependable. If they are remove from the group, one at a time, like in a small cage alone. Where they can see the the others but not get to them. A cock will usually crow non-stop....
I have not had any crow yet, I would say they are 4 to 6 weeks old. I got the breeder to check for males and he got me 2 or 3 I would just like to know which ones were which.

I dont know how old your birds are, but once they become breeding age, 5 to 7 weeks, the top cock bird will likely not tolerate lesser male in with what he sees as "his" hens. If I had that many hens and 2 roos, I'd make a second group with 4 hens and the lesser male. If they're older than that now and living peacefully, you are either fairly lucky, or only have the one male. Again a small wire pen or aquarium where they can be put alone, one at a time, where they can still see the flock, he will likely crow. Are these white birds? Wild type birds you should be able to see clearly at 4 or 5 weeks who is who.

My whites aren't crowing yet, either. They're a week or so younger than my browns.

From comparing pictures I think I have three males in my browns. The robin chested ones... Those are males for sure.

When separating them, would three hens be okay per male to start? Until I can hatch more hens? Or would 4-5 be better and have one lone male for back up purposes until he can get hens?

I prefer quads of 3 hens per cock bird.... you will see bald spots in your hens after a while but you will usually see that in the roo's favored few hens no matter how many he has..... you dont need flight pens even with bobs..... Only if you plan to use them to train dogs or hunt. Iv raised 100's of both bobs and cots in rabbit hutch type pens. While my Bob pens are a bit larger, I have 3'x2'x 14" high coturnix cages for quads of breeders..... as well as some 4'x2'x 16"..... 6 birds would work in these 3x2 pens too, but long term breeders I give a little more room ..... Three quads will likely work fine for you.... Adding the offspring to a established group is always a bigger problem than you think. I would think about hatching the next generation and just picking all new hens from that group and eating the old ones. The older birds will always be boss and tear up the new girls. Keep your roos if they are good as it will be better on your gene pool to go father to daughter than brother to sister. Either will work fine for a very long time thou, so dont sweat it and change out the roos if they need to go..... Good luck with your birds.....

Great info I am getting quail next spring so thanks for the info I am a chicken rancher so I don't know to much about quail yet so yea thanks.

I prefer quads of 3 hens per cock bird.... you will see bald spots in your hens after a while but you will usually see that in the roo's favored few hens no matter how many he has..... you dont need flight pens even with bobs..... Only if you plan to use them to train dogs or hunt. Iv raised 100's of both bobs and cots in rabbit hutch type pens. While my Bob pens are a bit larger, I have 3'x2'x 14" high coturnix cages for quads of breeders..... as well as some 4'x2'x 16"..... 6 birds would work in these 3x2 pens too, but long term breeders I give a little more room ..... Three quads will likely work fine for you.... Adding the offspring to a established group is always a bigger problem than you think. I would think about hatching the next generation and just picking all new hens from that group and eating the old ones. The older birds will always be boss and tear up the new girls. Keep your roos if they are good as it will be better on your gene pool to go father to daughter than brother to sister. Either will work fine for a very long time thou, so dont sweat it and change out the roos if they need to go..... Good luck with your birds.....
How long will males stay fertile.

Back
Top Bottom