Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Has anybody raised quail commercially? I'm thinking about doing it. I did the math and with 1 acre of land and 2000 quail selling a quart (30 eggs) of pickled eggs at $5 per quart, in one year I could pay off the land coop feed and all other costs (2.5 month payoff of a $10,000 loan) and in one year once the flock has started laying I can make up to $100,000 a year. Any tips or thoughts will be appreciated thanks.

Because of botulism and other concerns you have to have a special license to sell pickled goods in some places. If you haven't already you might want to check into that.

You should also really closely research your market so that you aren't ever stuck holding a lot of inventory while still having to buy feed, and building up a larger backlog of eggs at the same time.

Look into having your food milled locally in bulk so that you can lower feed cost. You can also consider doing co-op mill runs with others in your area so you can all benefit from bulk feed pricing.

You will have a lot of poo to dispose of and with that many birds will possibly be regulated in what you can do with it, since it is so high in nitrogen.

The FDA may care when you are selling that many eggs, but I'm sure the regulations for selling eggs are easy to find.

Has anybody raised quail commercially? I'm thinking about doing it. I did the math and with 1 acre of land and 2000 quail selling a quart (30 eggs) of pickled eggs at $5 per quart, in one year I could pay off the land coop feed and all other costs (2.5 month payoff of a $10,000 loan) and in one year once the flock has started laying I can make up to $100,000 a year. Any tips or thoughts will be appreciated thanks.

You will need to check with your state's department of agriculture. I only sell fresh eggs for eating or hatching and only rarely. In my state I can sell ungraded, unwashed eggs as "nest run" eggs for eating as long as I follow their guidlines. https://agriculture.az.gov/nest-run-egg-producer-information-registration There may be similar regulations for selling eggs that are ready to eat like pickled but I've not looked for them since I don't sell them for that purpose.

Don't forget your overhead costs. It's not just the cost of feed and birds. You'll need a building to house them for year around production, a cooling and heating system, cages, incubators for new generations, etc.

I put mine indoors in the winter, about 3 months usually. I keep a real small flock over the winter, there is maybe 2 roos and 8 hens. I look at the cost of the electric and the feed...trying to keep my biirds within my budget too.

Ok everyone I just got my second ever batch of coturnix quail. My first didn't go so good I bought them from an auction with bare backs and a lot of males. This time I got some A&M from a breeder. They should start laying in a couple weeks. They all look very healthy.

If you count there is 14 in there there should be 2 or 3 males and the rest girls.

Up close.

There in closure. I would like to get a pair or trio of ringneck pheasants to go in the run looking part, and some other color coturnix, and maybe some chuckar.
I will update u all when possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom