Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Day 16 and I have 3 eggs whose shells are showing signs of pipping and I hear peeping! Hoping to have 3 hatched by tonight or morning.

10 live chicks out of 12 eggs. Not to bad!

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
A couple of weeks ago I recycled this old entertainment center. This is what it looked like when I brought it home...

After a little demo'ing, cleaning and some repainting I added some shelves, backing, and doors.

Wired in a couple of heat lamps for the brooders.

I used peg board backing for ventilation and a mesh floor so the birdies won't have to walk in the muck and poop trays for easy clean up.

Added the door fronts............... Now you can put a "DONE" stamp on this recycled project.

Do you think the birdies like it???

I love it!!!

Thanks for all the info. I didn't know how many different types of quail there were. I have some coturnix , but the white ones is what I want next . I am up in Ontario canada. Quail are not too popular down here. Hard to find even. I started my first dozen eggs in my new incubator today hope they work out. Anybody have experience clipping their wings . ? I have been watching mine lay eggs . It's funny to watch . U can tell they are getting an egg when they start closing their eyes. And looking like they are forcing . Lol

I pinion all my breeders, except coturnix, at two weeks of age. They can still fly a little, get a good hover on and hard to catch on the ground. But they ain't gonna go south for the winter... I just do one wing as a rule....

EDIT TO ADD: never felt the need to pinion a Coturnix...

Last edited:
Yes, pine shavings are what most folks use in a brooder.... When I use shavings, I cover them with a layer of paper towels for the first 3 or 4 days.... Not because they will hurt the chicks but so i can sprinkle feed out on the towels. The new chicks will sleep most of the time. When they wake up, they will peck at what ever they see with in reach. It should be crumble. This teaches them what food is very quickly..... After they figure out what food looks like, simply roll up the towels and discard, the shavings are fresh clean.

Back
Top Bottom