Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I had my brooder light (heat source) go out one night. The bantam chick I had put in with my week old quail babies saved the day. They were all three huddled together in the drastically cool brooder. Thank goodness I had that bantam chick in there or I probably would have lost my two quail babies.

What would a chick congenitally have that they could pass to and harm quail? I am new to quail (my Cots are pipping as I type this)...so I would appreciate anyone pointing me to the correct info...
TIA

Last edited:
get this that jumbo egg of mine IS from an A & M /img/smilies/smile.png She's the biggest coturnix of ALL of my jumbos i Have she's MASSIVE! I can't even hold her in one hand she's that big.! LOL! And i thought my Jumbo golden from sam was big! LOL! I WILL be breeding those two together at some point in the spring for sure.
I want to buy some of those fertile eggs for incubation lol!!

Hi! I am thinking of starting a quail pen next year and I am trying to read thru the thread. I have a question though. How far apart should quail be kept from chickens? I hoped to pen and run them beside my chickens, but if not possible then CRAP!!Just finishing a 10'x16'coop build.

Hi! I am thinking of starting a quail pen next year and I am trying to read thru the thread. I have a question though. How far apart should quail be kept from chickens? I hoped to pen and run them beside my chickens, but if not possible then CRAP!!Just finishing a 10'x16'coop build.
So far I have been without issue in keeping my quail with/near my chickens. I have read that it is not a good idea but from my experience it works fine. My quail pen is a separate area inside the aviary. I am currently raising a loan surviving quail chick that is about 3 weeks old now with four baby bantam chicks and it is better than it being alone. In fact twice now the light has gone out in the brooder but thanks to huddling with the bantams the quail was kept warm.

Quail pen in the corner of the aviary

Close up on pen showing the proximity of contact my quail have with my chicken. They can watch each other but dont actually mingle.

Lobzi

Please don't share your birds with anyone. After all the issues that we have tried to warn about that has been shown with picture after picture on this forum.

There is already all kinds of crap that we have to test chickens for that gets returned to or bodies so even of quail did reach the point of being able to reach the state of living with these diseases they would have to be treated as well. I like the idea of clean food that I raised myself.

Until they reach the point of being able to survive it wipes out mass flocks. Once something is a carrier even quarantine doesn't help because you never realise it is sick until your whole flock is infected.

I have been that person that has lost all of my quail. They were big nice birds that I had more eggs then I knew what to do with & hatch rates were perfect almost all the time. My family was 6 people at the time & we ate quail about every week. Until I decided to put my quail pins in the chicken coop. Must of them died off fast. Even the few that survived the first run of whatever they had became weak & they ended up dying later. I took such a blow that it discouraged me & I'm just now about 2 years later getting back into birds.

The thing people who havent done the research cant seem to grasp is that most poultry diseases are very serious. Diseases like coryza, MG, blackhead and many many more cannot be tested for, vaccinated against, or cured. Once they get it,assuming they survive, they will transmit it for their entire life. To other quail other poultry wild birds and any other avian they encounter.

Spend a day researching mycoplasma galliseptum, coryza, protozoan infections, parasite transmission etc and keeping up biosecurity really wont seem like such a big deal.

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would risk the health of their birds with so much scientific data available on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom