Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

My eggs are from my four females that I rescued from a slaughter house so my male would have company after his female companion died. I know nothing about them except they are great birds, two jumbo pharaohs, one regular size pharaoh and the one golden. From the description of dominance Im guessing my golden is from mixed parents. Im going to keep incubating Goldie's eggs or what I am pretty sure are hers as they stand out as different from the other three eggs I collect daily. Im hoping to get some more golden babies.

So I last week I bought some quail. 1 male (Golden Speckled), and 3 females (Tibetan, Tuxedo, and A&M). Thus far they seem fairly happy with their set up, and from the research I've done it seems satisfactory except for the light. I've been reading a light will help laying (14 hours per day?). But I've never used a light with any poultry of mine ( then again I've never owned quail) and am not really inclined to do so unless it's necessary. Is it necessary? And does that mean that they'll need to be in a darkened cage with just artificial light?

Adding light=forcing production. You adding light will make the quail's metabolism believe it is still laying season, so there is little or no gap in winter egg laying. Forcing production will shorten the lifespan of a bird considerably though so decide first what your long term goals are with your birds. If you do light your birds (i do) make sure to use full spectrum bulbs. Theyll lay with just led christmas lights but improper lighting can cause vitamin deficiencies among other things.

Adding light=forcing production. You adding light will make the quail's metabolism believe it is still laying season, so there is little or no gap in winter egg laying. Forcing production will shorten the lifespan of a bird considerably though so decide first what your long term goals are with your birds. If you do light your birds (i do) make sure to use full spectrum bulbs. Theyll lay with just led christmas lights but improper lighting can cause vitamin deficiencies among other things.

Okay, much thanks for the reply.

How high humidity at lock down is too high? Last time I hatched Coturnix eggs my humidity was 65% but then it jump to 75% I thought it was too high but my last egg died hatching because the membrane was all leathery.
I had to take the chicks out of the incubator right away because they were kicking the eggs all over and moving my temp gauge.
Is there any way to be able to take the other chicks out without wrecking it for the other eggs left to hatch?
Last time I got the humidity back up to 65% right away but the last egg still didn't make it.

Dont worry about the chicks kicking eggs around its a non issue. Beyond 70% humidity you risk the embryos drowning in the egg. The inner membrane was leathery because you opened the door. It happens instantly once the dry air rushes in, this is why it is critical to not open the door for at least 24 hours after the majority of the chicks hatch.. If the chicks dont make it out easy and on time, they werent fit to.

Edit to add: i run 50% for incubation and 65-70% for lockdown. As chicks hatch youll see it spike up past 80% sometimes but dont worry about that.

Last edited:
Well, I did it, ordered 50 eggs from JMF. So excited to get them here! I will be culling the current flock this week and starting fresh, aside from a small handful of exceptional/pet birds . Even with the 30% game feed my live weights are running about 14oz. One golden is my moms pet so she stays of course, and I have a 17 oz hen thats just a spoiled goof. She thinks I am her mother and likes attention, and likes to be held and picked up. One very nice sized fella thats 16.2 oz.
did u get them from James Marie farm?

Back
Top Bottom