Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Quail are very easy to incubate. Has to be the eggs you are getting. If they are super clean your shipper may be washing them off. Not good or too old or rough shipping

I`m in Venezuela, and it is hard to find good feed for my quails, I heard that if you add PROMOTER L to the water it will increase thier laying, have any ideas?

Updated pic of my 3 week olds. Think I may need to build a new pen! Bit of a chick explosion here. Have a pair of month olds, then the 3 wks old and have a hatch going now. Think I may have a bit of a obsession.

Updated pic of my 3 week olds. Think I may need to build a new pen! Bit of a chick explosion here. Have a pair of month olds, then the 3 wks old and have a hatch going now. Think I may have a bit of a obsession.
Its so easy to get addicted to babies. I love hatching both quail and chickens. There is something so sweet about their helplessness when young. I love the older ones too but the babies....

my coturnix aren't nearly as fast or skid-dish as the bobs.
I just hatched out some more bob whites. Small enough to set on a quarter. Fast as lightning after day 1. Went over a 6" tall box I put in my brooder at day 3, to confine them a bit. My brooder is pretty large, totally covered in netting. THANKFULLY with these guys. That didn't work, so I just cut doors out of the box sides. As teens, I swear they can see an exit and fly right for it. I use double guards on everything with these guys for all of my access points . To the brooder, their house, and outside run. I also cut some spruce branches and made a cave in their run, near the dust box. Have fun. OH, do you eat them, or have them for fun? I live in both worlds.
I think I have a way to get them from brooder to transport pen with out stressing them to death. I plan on using a dryer hose in the brooder like a hide out tunnel for then, Then take one end out and put it in transfer cage. They should go right to it to get away from me. That's my plan anyways.
I may have this on here already. I use catfish feed 32% protein, and the best chick starter i can find 26%. grind both 50/50, add some grit, some oyster shell small pieces and powder I wind up with a 29% protein feed . And feed until adults. Then go to laying crumble with a 3 parts layer, 1 part of this chick mix. Seems to work great. healthy happy critters, good hard shelled eggs.
Ducks and chickens will get some of this in the winter for extra heat as well as the corn in the scratch.

Last edited:
my coturnix aren't nearly as fast or skid-dish as the bobs. 
    I just hatched out some more bob whites. Small enough to set on a quarter. Fast as lightning after day 1. Went over a 6" tall box I put in my brooder at day 3, to confine them a bit. My brooder is pretty large, totally covered in netting. THANKFULLY with these guys. That didn't work, so I just cut doors out of the box sides. As teens, I swear they can see an exit and fly right for it. I use double guards on everything with these guys for all of my access points . To the brooder, their house, and outside run. I also cut some spruce branches and made a cave in their run, near the dust box. Have fun. OH, do you eat them, or have them for fun? I live in both worlds.
   I think I have a way to get them from brooder to transport pen with out stressing them to death. I plan on using a dryer hose in the brooder like a hide out tunnel for then, Then take one end out and put it in transfer cage. They should go right to it to get away from me. That's my plan anyways.
    I may have this on here already. I use catfish feed 32% protein, and the best chick starter i can find 26%. grind both 50/50, add some grit, some oyster shell small pieces and powder I wind up with a 29% protein feed . And feed until adults. Then go to laying crumble with a 3 parts layer, 1 part of this chick mix. Seems to work great. healthy happy critters, good hard shelled eggs.
   Ducks and chickens will get some of this in the winter for extra heat as well as the corn in the scratch. 

These lil ones are getting use to us very quickly. The way my brooder is I am half in it to feed etc. Most of this hatch is going to the freezer. Only want to keep 5 adults for layers.

Back
Top Bottom