Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Ok .. So ive been looking into raising coturnix quail ... i really like the white ones so thats what im gonna go with i think so here are my questions...

1) with the A&M breed do they make good meat and do they lay good sized/# of eggs for a quail?

2) this feed store near me carries them, should i buy them there or better off with buying from a breeder?

3) who here knows or is a breeder that can send me eggs?

4) do i need 2 different pens for males and females and only put them together for a little while to mate or keep them in the same pen at all times

5) what do you think a good # of birds would be to start my flock off ?

6) what kind of temperatures can they tolerate because i live in arizona and it occasionally gets up to the 120's ...?

7) on their cage it needs nothing more than a wire floor, food, water, drop bucket underneath, some kind of shelter, and ... what??

8) how long do they live ?

ok i think thats it for now any help would be greatly appreciated
big_smile.png

brent go to page one of this thread and start reading it will make your experience much more enjoyable. your lucky if someone local sells them i would buy from them first.

Quote:
you may it depends on your own states laws and town ordinences. I used ot have a state by state law thing on teh first post here but i removed it because it was way too hard to keep up with. But if you find out the laws in your state you ar emore than welcome to post the info here!
smile.png

Quote:
haha you're tellin me!!! that's why i took my info off of here on the states it was way too hard. I'd think I had found the info needed and then someone in the state would be like no...this is the correct info LOL so I just felt bad giving info that may be wrong so I deleted it and just hope people will post for their own states tomake it easier for those who want to know. In MOST States if your raising them for your own use (pets or food) then you nromally do not need a permit.. and if you sell you do. However in some states you even need a permit just to own them. In others you dont need anything for them (like in PA).

Quote:
try to find the number for whoever deals with wildlife in your area (traps them for relocation etc). They should be able to point you out to someone.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom