Coturnix Quail - Color Identification Help? (Lots of pictures!)

Are you feeding them a good high protein game bird feed right now?
Yes (that I know of at least, lol) thank you for asking! They are on gamebird starter crumble that I crushed for the first two weeks so they would be able to eat it. I think it's Nutrena? It was the only option that my local feed store offered for quail so I hope it will work for them long term. I've also mixed vitamin/electrolytes in their water since hatch.

Yes (that I know of at least, lol) thank you for asking! They are on gamebird starter crumble that I crushed for the first two weeks so they would be able to eat it. I think it's Nutrena? It was the only option that my local feed store offered for quail so I hope it will work for them long term. I've also mixed vitamin/electrolytes in their water since hatch.
Too much electrolytes isn't good.
Once a week is ok if your weather is really hot but don't over do it.

I have started switching my quail, once they're about 5 weeks old, over to layer type feed.
Same stuff I feed my chickens.

I believe they only need the really high protein for the first five to six weeks of life.

I have started switching my quail, once they're about 5 weeks old, over to layer type feed.

I believe they only need the really high protein for the first five to six weeks of life.

Oh wow, that's definitely good to know thanks! I'm in Miami so other than an occasional cold night here and there it's been a warm 80-90 degrees. I'll hold back on the electrolytes since they are probably off to a good start now, which was my main concern. They were just SO tiny compared to what I'm used to! They have been in a heated brooder but I just turned off the heat a couple days ago when I noticed them panting and avoiding the heated side.

It'd be great if I could get them on layer feed once they're grown, I had no idea about that! One less bin cluttering the shed :celebrate

Oh wow, that's definitely good to know thanks! I'm in Miami so other than an occasional cold night here and there it's been a warm 80-90 degrees. I'll hold back on the electrolytes since they are probably off to a good start now, which was my main concern. They were just SO tiny compared to what I'm used to! They have been in a heated brooder but I just turned off the heat a couple days ago when I noticed them panting and avoiding the heated side.

It'd be great if I could get them on layer feed once they're grown, I had no idea about that! One less bin cluttering the shed :celebrate
I'm going to guess that your weather is probably warmer than mine here in Houston Texas.
I usually only heat my brooder for the first couple of days and then I move them outside with no heat.

I'm going to guess that your weather is probably warmer than mine here in Houston Texas.
I usually only heat my brooder for the first couple of days and then I move them outside with no heat.
Awesome, I should definitely be able to move them out now then (lack of winter has it's benefits doesn't it?). You have been so helpful, thank you again and again! Now I get to obsess over getting their cage ready :clap

I believe studies say 8 weeks but I switch mine at 6

To start, I am very new to quail so apologies for any mistakes in advance! I have been raising chickens for years and just recently hatched my first quail. I am OBSESSED :love. I am very much confused on the proper identification of their colors though, and since I intend to breed these little ones I would love to be able to refer to them correctly (and be able to choose the best pairings for what I have).

All these babies were purchased as Celadon blue coturnix quail eggs from several different pens separated by color. The seller raises most of the 'common' varieties as well as pastels: light pastel, dark pastel, silver, buff, and sexable pastel wild pattern (typed as listed, not sure if those are all true varieties). They hatched on December 22 and are 3 weeks old in the photos.

I would LOVE any and all imput you may have on what colors these babies are and possibly even gender if it's a sexable color variety. Any suggestions for breeding pairs/ trios would much appreciated as well (roughly of course since I don't know genders yet). Thank you all in advance!

View attachment 2000914 View attachment 2000915

#2 wild typ-ish
View attachment 2000918

View attachment 2000920 View attachment 2000921

#4 regular wild type, or lighter? :idunno
View attachment 2000923

#5 Silver?
View attachment 2000925 View attachment 2000926 View attachment 2000934

View attachment 2000942 View attachment 2000944
So update on my mystery babies, because that's exactly what they are right now. Definitely jumped the gun on posting pictures of them at 3 weeks, I couldn't believe how much coloration would emerge! I've been looking online for hours about quail colors and genetics and my mind is about to explode :barnie I only got more and more confused haha. Below are my best guesses, feel free to correct me or add in anywhere you see fit!

#1 Scarlet-ish, similar to #3. Pastel?
3 wks B1.jpg 6 wks IMG_3016.jpg IMG_3018.jpg

#2 Roux (Silver?) Pharaoh male
3 wks L1.jpg 6 wks IMG_3019.jpg IMG_3021.jpg

#3 Scarlet-ish but has a silver/grey hue, similar to #1 in person. Pastel?
3 wks IMG_2705.jpg 6 wks IMG_3026.jpg IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3028.jpg

#4 Roux Pharaoh? Female, looks lighter in person especially next to my normal pharaohs
3 wks W1.jpg 6 wks IMG_3008.jpg IMG_3010.jpg

#5 Silver but getting lots of brown tones in the breast
3 wks S1.jpg 6 wks IMG_3006.jpg IMG_3007.jpg

#6 Scarlet? Or another pastel? Noticeably redder in person compared to #1 & 3 but still has blue/silver hues
3 wks C1.jpg 6 wks IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3023.jpg

Other possibilities I thought I saw are Cinnamon for the scarlet/pastels, but I can't find a good source showing what Cinnamon looks like. Still no eggs to speak of but should be anytime now since they jus hit 6 weeks.

On a side note, I purchased another 18 Celadon blue eggs from the same breeder which are supposed to be pastels and silvers. Due to hatch Valentines day!

Attachments

• IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
i’m going to make a guess.... 1,2,5,6 egyptian cockerels, 3,4 egyptian hens....there may be a bit of silver in line, but looks like feather sexable, roux

Back
Top Bottom