Coturnix Quail with bubbly eyes

SBHERPER

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2015
Hello, My quail are about 3 days old now. Out of 50 I have one that seemed to not be happy and was the only one chirping constantly. When I went to look at the chick I noticed that his eyes are much bigger and more stuck out than the others. I would say they are quit bubbly looking comparatively. Sign of something? Don't know my first Coturnix chicks.

He could be blind.... do his eyes look cloudy or glassy by any chance? I had a deaf bantam chick who would chirp loudly and consistently all day and night because she could not hear the other chicks. She soon grew out of it and learned to come to her name. Do you have any pictures?

He could be blind.... do his eyes look cloudy or glassy by any chance? I had a deaf bantam chick who would chirp loudly and consistently all day and night because she could not hear the other chicks. She soon grew out of it and learned to come to her name. Do you have any pictures?

Thanks for the response. I don't have a picture at the moment. It would probably be a day or two before I can post one. No, I noticed no cloudiness or anything different with color. Just more protruding and bubbly. Maybe bug-eyed would be a better word.

Thank you! The one in the picture on that link is exactly the same. The first bulging eye picture.

Yep, My little bubble-eyed guy died today. Noticeably wasn't growing like the others.

Yep, My little bubble-eyed guy died today. Noticeably wasn't growing like the others.
I have one as well that is bubble eyed and not growing like the others, he seems fine but no real life in him, hasn’t tried to fly, eats and drinks but. You know, he is just not right. Today’s hatch I had two more birds come out with bulged eyes, they all seem to be the white chicks. I may have to clean the blood line if this is going to be an ongoing issue.

I ended up culling my bubble-eyed bird at about 1 week when it became apparent it wasn't going to get better. Hardest thing I had to do -- culling a sweet innocent chick.

BTW, welcome to BYC. This is an older thread, you may not hear back from the folks who posted in 2017.

Back
Top Bottom