Coturnix vs Serama bantum

I have 5 serama (2 roo, 3 hens) in the same 3x6' multilevel cage that my coturnix were in before I decided to butcher all of them and start over with new lines next year. They were in the spare bedroom one wall over from where I usually am but we needed the room for puppies so now they are on the screened porch with plastic over the windows so we can add some heat when the weather starts to turn really cold. They are somewhat louder than quail. The frequently crowing coturnix were definitely louder than the clucking and about as loud as the roos crow. The seramas are more constant noise and longer crows. Can't say much about eggs since at over 8months old I still don't have a serama egg!!!!
hmm.png
My quail started laying at around 12weeks and did not stop until the day all their heads got cut off. I also had a trio of japanese bantams in that cage before the coturnix. I had lights over them last winter and got 2 eggs a day without fail. I really preferred them over the quail which is why I wanted some more small chickens to put in that pen and I'll build outdoor cages for my quail. It is great to walk one room over and pick up some eggs when it's -20F and the snow is 3' deep outside. I didn't collect eggs out of the coop much last winter and half what I did get was frozen.

Quote:
Button quail and Jersey Giants? I think that's a bit of a stretch
gig.gif

Seramas, as a general rule, NEVER get larger than 20 ounces. There are few exceptions unless you are trying to breed huge seramas.

My seramas start laying at 4-5 months and lay about twice or three times a week.

I have had & raised a trio of seramas. My roo was like a pet dog and came when called. The girls were very friendly as well as very quiet.
BUT, that bugger roo crowed all day long and it wasn't a real "quiet" crow. he was like a watch dog & did his 'job' very well. EVERY neighborhood noise got him going.

It got louder the more he practiced.
gig.gif
Kind of an annoying crow too.....like scratching your nails on a chalk board annoying after an hour straight.. All my immediate neighbors commented on him but were trying to be tolerant. I rehomed the birds because I wanted to be a good neighbor.

They don't require a lot of space. Don't eat much......and have larger eggs than the quail do.
A loved the serama personality and will now see what raising quail is like as of today! 12 so far hatched.

Has anyone housed Serama with Quail?
I would not reccomend this since chickens of all breeds are more aggressive than quail, and as small as they are I bet a Coturnix would be no match for an angry Serama. Quail are also more “wild” than domestic chickens which have a much longer history of domestication and therefore greater resistance to diseases that easily kill quail and other wild birds. It’s often advised that chickens and quail be kept a good distance away from each other to avoid disease transmission. However I have seen and heard of people using small bantams like Serama to hatch and raise baby quail without mention of issues like that, though I think they were most likely separated once grown.

Back
Top Bottom