Coturnix: What do you get when you cross....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Shellepup, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Shellepup

Shellepup Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    I have a red tuxedo hen, 2 red gold hens (I think they're both hens; one may be a rooster, I can't tell yet. They're still pretty young, and I'm new at this.), and a fawn hen. What would the offspring be, if I put a Manchurian roo in with them? The roo I'm thinking of is very reddish and has very little black on him, if that makes a difference. I think I remember reading somewhere that Manchurian is dominant, so if that's true the 1st generation offspring would all appear Manchurian, but I'd probably get some "red" variations in the 2nd generation, right?

What would be the best color roo to put with the hens I mentioned? I have Manchurian, A & M, brown, Tibetan, rosetta & Tibetan tuxedos.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The best roo to put with the red Tuxedos would be the A and M, with the Fawn a Brown, The Tibetan, Rosetta and Tib Tuxedos are all British Range so they can be together. Manchurian can be with white too but work with brown.

It is difficult to produce new colors, believe me. Sometimes throwbacks do occur. It depends who the birds were housed with originally (the breeders that is).

3. Shellepup

Shellepup Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Thanks for the input. At the breeder's they were all in one huge shed, all colors together, so no telling what their ancestry is.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If you don't know what colors are in the background then it's difficult to pinpoint who should go with whom. This is the case with any animals, since oftentimes the parent's colors will make a huge impact on what the offspring throw.

My less-than-scientific answer would be - put in the prettiest/largest/best males you've got and just have fun with it [​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Manchurian/golden + brown = brown That's why it's difficult to produce new colors.
    Tuxedos are anomalous, so you can cross them with anything, and even get a white bird...Thanks Tuxedo gens! I didn't see that white bird coming! Sorry...I did [​IMG]

Not sure why people want to reverse engineer coturnix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by