Coturnix With Swollen Eye Lids

Mbonaro

Chirping
May 6, 2019
I noticed a few (About 1/4) of my quail had swollen eye lids. They do not smell, bleed, or foam. I add DE to their dust baths and keep the cages clean. It only occurs in one of their eyes and hasn’t gotten any better, worse, or spread to other birds over the last month or so. They all eat/drink well and have started laying regularly now that they are getting a few more hours of light. They don’t act ill, injured, or fight much. Any suggestions on what it might be or how to help them? I have been looking through all the Quail threads and can’t seem to find much with similar symptoms. These are the worst two.
B85B78CD-477B-4D9E-B111-5B18F8E19117.jpeg
147F09C8-0241-4A58-AFFC-9379EEBCE63A.jpeg

Due to the fact that there are no other symptoms of a disease I'd say they are fighting a little between themselves. You may have to observe them to see who is being a bully. Quail can be irritatingly particular about who they do and don't like, and sometimes you'll get a trouble maker who sneakily pecks at the ones they don't like, and the eye is a prime target. They may only do it occasionally, but just enough to feel like they are top bird. Girls can be just as bad as the boys too (if not worse).

Thankfully quail are tough and your birds should recover. Some may always have a bit of extra scar tissue around their eye but they will be fine.

Have you got room in your cage to create hiding spots for the others to get away from being harassed? That might help as well as a couple of feeding and watering stations.

I would leave out the diatomaceous earth for a while to see if their eyes get better. DE works by irritating and drying out bugs. It can irritate bird tissue too, after a while.

Due to the fact that there are no other symptoms of a disease I'd say they are fighting a little between themselves. You may have to observe them to see who is being a bully. Quail can be irritatingly particular about who they do and don't like, and sometimes you'll get a trouble maker who sneakily pecks at the ones they don't like, and the eye is a prime target. They may only do it occasionally, but just enough to feel like they are top bird. Girls can be just as bad as the boys too (if not worse).

Thankfully quail are tough and your birds should recover. Some may always have a bit of extra scar tissue around their eye but they will be fine.

Have you got room in your cage to create hiding spots for the others to get away from being harassed? That might help as well as a couple of feeding and watering stations.

yes I have some room I could add a plant or two for them to hide under. Thanks for the info!

I would leave out the diatomaceous earth for a while to see if their eyes get better. DE works by irritating and drying out bugs. It can irritate bird tissue too, after a while.

I have been surprised to hear this from people since it has been recommended by so many to add to dust baths and around the coop. I’m going to hold off on it for a few weeks to see if it helps. Thanks!

I have been surprised to hear this from people since it has been recommended by so many to add to dust baths and around the coop. I’m going to hold off on it for a few weeks to see if it helps. Thanks!
Some people will tell you it's worthless. Others seem to think it's a cure-all. I think the truth is somewhere in between. It's useful in cracks and crevices where bugs may take refuge. It's rarely going to knock out a full infestation... In a dust bath it probably reduces the load on healthy birds so they can resist an outbreak. At the same time its sharp edges irritate more tender tissues like lungs and eyes.

Thanks to all who posted. I removed the diatomaceous earth from their bath and over the last two weeks their eyes are all looking a lot better!

Back
Top Bottom