Quail Sickness? Deworming? Someone help me?

BeccaaStancil

Songster
7 Years
May 18, 2016
Alabama
This is long, please stick with me I am new to quail and have no idea what to do here.

So a rundown of the recent happenings…
Bought 15 adult Coturnix quail from a local gentleman who breeds, we picked them up last week. 3 males and 12 females, some are 10 weeks old and some are 11 months old. Not sure what conditions he keeps them in because he met us with them already packed up in boxes.

Some appear healthy, feel healthy, no protruding breast bones, no visible symptoms of illness… but a few look and feel less than great.

Less than great including swollen eye (only one eye is swollen on both birds exhibiting this symptom) however NO discharge. No sneezing. 3 birds have Protruding breast bones and are obviously underweight. One of the males is not very active but not necessarily lethargic either.. 2 hens have no back or head feathers but there’s no signs of aggression thus far. Everyone is eating and drinking great, I don’t see runny or bloody poop (all that i’ve seen is firm brown poop) everyone except the one male that seems off is dust bathing and active. Out of the 12 hens I’ve averaged 5 eggs a day but was told that they were all laying daily before we bought them. Originally thinking maybe they were kept in poor conditions and needed some tlc, but then one of the males died a couple days after bringing them home. Started watching the others closely and no symptoms have progressed in the quail, but last night one of our 4 week old chickens became very lethargic and isn’t looking like he’ll make it. All other baby chickens appear normal and active.

I am very cautious going between the chickens and the quail. Especially since the quail look unhealthy. New shoes, hands washed before going to the chickens, ect. So my questions are… how should I go about treating the quail? Do all of these symptoms sound like anything specific? Should I deworm them? Should I wait and see if anything gets better or worse since they’re in a clean environment? (assuming they weren’t before but I know it’s not nice to assume things) How likely is it that the chicken getting sick is related to the quail even with all precautions being taken? Should I treat all birds for something including chickens?

The pens are not near each other. well over 50 ft apart and the quail are currently in a 5x5 temporary pen on our carport because their 10x6 enclosure isn’t quite done being built.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I’m going to go have a panic attack until someone replies.

Pictures would help, especially of the ones with swollen eyes and of your sick chicken.

I would separate the lethargic male in case he has something that is contagious, and also to help him get better.

It is normal for quail to take about a two week break from laying after any kind of stress, such as moving. Quail don't like change.

What are you feeding them? Do you know what they were being fed before you got them?

If their poop looks healthy and you don't see any sign of worms, hold off on deworming. You might think about sending some poop samples to a vet for testing, if you are concerned.

FYI, 11 months old is not young for quail. Serious breeders are starting to look at replacing their hens as 12-18 months, their roos before a year old.

It is far less likely that your chicken has caught something from the quail than your quail catching something from the chickens. From what you've said of your precautions, I don't think it's likely that something went between the pens.

Pictures would help, especially of the ones with swollen eyes and of your sick chicken.

I would separate the lethargic male in case he has something that is contagious, and also to help him get better.

It is normal for quail to take about a two week break from laying after any kind of stress, such as moving. Quail don't like change.

What are you feeding them? Do you know what they were being fed before you got them?

If their poop looks healthy and you don't see any sign of worms, hold off on deworming. You might think about sending some poop samples to a vet for testing, if you are concerned.

FYI, 11 months old is not young for quail. Serious breeders are starting to look at replacing their hens as 12-18 months, their roos before a year old.

It is far less likely that your chicken has caught something from the quail than your quail catching something from the chickens. From what you've said of your precautions, I don't think it's likely that something went between the pens.
They are eating Tucker Milling game bird layer/breeder, it’s what the gentleman we bought them from feeds and he gave us a decent amount with them. It is locally made but I’m not sure if it’s good or not because I’m not entirely sure of quail dietary requirements yet other than needing higher protein. There seems to be contradicting info online.

Here is the breakdown of their feed

Crude Protein……………..Min……………….20.0%
Lysine……………….………Min………….…….1.0%
Methionine………….….…Min……………….0.5%
Threonine…………..……Min…………..……0.8%
Fat…………………………Min………………….3.25%
Fiber………………………Max…………………4.0%
Calcium……………………..Min…………………2.75%
Calcium……………………..Max…………………3.25%
Phosphorus………………..Min…………………0.7%
Salt……………….……..…..Min…………………0.3%
Salt………………….………..Max…………………0.8%
Sodium………………..…..Min…………………0.18%
Sodium……………………..Max…………………0.22%
Copper……………………..Min………………140ppm
Selenium…………………..Min………………0.4ppm
Zinc……………………..Min…………………150ppm
Manganese…………..Min…………………150ppm
Vitamin A………………..Min……………5,300 IU/lb
Vitamin D3……………..Min……………2,500 IU/lb
Vitamin E……………..Min…………………135 IU/lb
Total Microorganisms…Min…23,000,000 CFU/lb

I will grab some pictures as soon as I get home, we are running to tractor supply to get a crate for the lethargic male. He’s currently in a cardboard box in our office. Should I hold off on all treatment for now?

Consider treating for coccidiosis (direct dose if needed).. since it's a top reason for illness or lethargy in chickens that age.. and doesn't have to come from an outside source.
Could you by any chance send me the product used and dosage? At tractor supply now googling like crazy but I’ve actually never had to treat for coccidiosis and am completely clueless! especially about dosage for quail. Is it Corrid?

That protein amount is quite low for growing birds. I’d expect it to be fine for adults. 28%-30% is usually what i see recommended for younger than 12 weeks. I’m not saying that’s your issue but I don’t think it would hurt anything to give them a bag of game bird starter crumble. Purina makes one I buy from a local tractor supply.

I’m no help on the sickness aspect.

That feed is fine for adults, and since your youngest are 10 weeks old, it should be good for them as well.

I look forward to seeing the pictures to have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

That feed is fine for adults, and since your youngest are 10 weeks old, it should be good for them as well.

I look forward to seeing the pictures to have a better idea of what you're dealing with.
So sorry for the late replies, I got home from tractor supply and immediately got a call from my mom and had to leave again. Here are a few pics of the quail. Unfortunately the chicken did not make it through the night.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpeg
    IMG_3311.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3317.jpeg
    IMG_3317.jpeg
    704.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This is long, please stick with me I am new to quail and have no idea what to do here.

So a rundown of the recent happenings…
Bought 15 adult Coturnix quail from a local gentleman who breeds, we picked them up last week. 3 males and 12 females, some are 10 weeks old and some are 11 months old. Not sure what conditions he keeps them in because he met us with them already packed up in boxes.

Some appear healthy, feel healthy, no protruding breast bones, no visible symptoms of illness… but a few look and feel less than great.

Less than great including swollen eye (only one eye is swollen on both birds exhibiting this symptom) however NO discharge. No sneezing. 3 birds have Protruding breast bones and are obviously underweight. One of the males is not very active but not necessarily lethargic either.. 2 hens have no back or head feathers but there’s no signs of aggression thus far. Everyone is eating and drinking great, I don’t see runny or bloody poop (all that i’ve seen is firm brown poop) everyone except the one male that seems off is dust bathing and active. Out of the 12 hens I’ve averaged 5 eggs a day but was told that they were all laying daily before we bought them. Originally thinking maybe they were kept in poor conditions and needed some tlc, but then one of the males died a couple days after bringing them home. Started watching the others closely and no symptoms have progressed in the quail, but last night one of our 4 week old chickens became very lethargic and isn’t looking like he’ll make it. All other baby chickens appear normal and active.

I am very cautious going between the chickens and the quail. Especially since the quail look unhealthy. New shoes, hands washed before going to the chickens, ect. So my questions are… how should I go about treating the quail? Do all of these symptoms sound like anything specific? Should I deworm them? Should I wait and see if anything gets better or worse since they’re in a clean environment? (assuming they weren’t before but I know it’s not nice to assume things) How likely is it that the chicken getting sick is related to the quail even with all precautions being taken? Should I treat all birds for something including chickens?

The pens are not near each other. well over 50 ft apart and the quail are currently in a 5x5 temporary pen on our carport because their 10x6 enclosure isn’t quite done being built.

Thanks for reading if you got this far, I’m going to go have a panic attack until someone replies.
Also...do you have a link to the advertisment you saw to buy these birds to begin with?

Back
Top Bottom