Couch to 5k - training for people new to running

Shin splints:

Find a stairway and perch your toes and half the pad of your foot on a stair. Lower your heels below the level of your toes and push back up onto tip toes. Start with 2-3 sets of 15 and work up to 3-4 sets of 25.
It can be caused by shoes, but it's also caused by not having enough muscle on the front of your shin in relation to the muscles in your calves.

I got them all the time in Irish Dance, but this strength exercise snuffed them for me.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! (and thanks for the PM about good running support gear for women, FrenchHen)

Trying to decide if I'll go running again tonight. We got our first rain in a month today and I am afraid things will be very slippery. Excuses, excuses...

I'll repeat it here: Title Nine is a great place to get women's sportswear. Especially the supportive kind.
wink.png

Also using medical tape and taping your shins very tight when you run keeps the pain at bay our track runners do this. As for not breathing while running it helps me to breath in through my mouth out of my nose. Ive been getting up 6:30 every morning to run we have started with 4 miles a day because we're getting back in shape, you would be surprised with what 2 weeks off does to you or just even a week after 2 days you lose alot of your progress. I had alot of trouble pacing myself when I first started and would die about 1200 meters into mile, I suggest finding a track and trying this run a mile (4 laps) and time each lap try to get each lap time within 1 or 2 seconds of each other this helps with pacing and once you get that down try running 800's and getting around the same time for them.

Get a count going in your head; 1,2,3,4. 1, 2 in through the nose, 3, 4 out throught the mouth. Keep the count going and swing your body to the count. Get in the "zone" and it goes much easier and quicker. There is a lot to be said about the mind-body connection.

I did a 5k with my son this morning. 8:30am wet grass run (yuck), finished in 33.1 min. One minute behind my 20 year old son. I can't say I fly, but I get it done.

I didn't go through all the posts -

I like to listen to music while I run. I haven't ran a marathon or anything like that but just run to stay fit. I run 2 miles a day. I love to run and walk - my DH and I are very woodsy/outdoors folks and we stay in the woods on rivers and creeks as much as possible - he can walk you to death. I train horses and you know...spending a couple hrs with a horse doing GW is excerises enough! LOL The more you do the more tolerance for it you build up and then you are stronger and have more endurance.

Someone told me that there is a C2-5K ipod download that is free-basically each week he has a timed recording with 'run now' 'walk now' etc. I haven't used it myself but they liked not having to think and just do it.

Back
Top Bottom