coughing and sneezing

never enough birds

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
I have about 50 laying hens, the last few days I have noticed quite abit of coughing and sneezing. They are still eating and drinking, and there egg production is good what would be safe to give them? I sell eggs to the public. They aren't on medicated feed, thanks for you help

Its good to hear that their egg production is still good.
I'm new to all these poultry infections but have been reading a lot on BYC.
Some have suggested , at this time of year, it may be due to dust in the air or the coop or run. Evidently chickens can have allergies too.

If they sttart bubbling out of their eyes then you have Problems. I'm dealing with coryza in my flock and I hope this is not what yours are dealing with. But I did discover Vet Rx which is basically herbal Vick's vapor rub for chickens. I used it on 2 of my chicks as an under the wing application and it does seem to give them some relief.
There is a website at WELP HATCHERY with descriptions of chicken ailments. This might help you pin point their symptoms.
http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp
Hope this helps. God Bless your little flock.

unfortunately, if you sell eggs to the public, there are not any approved antibiotics you can use (in laying hens) even if you knew for sure you had a bacterial infection. lots of people give antibiotics to their backyard birds, but if you give or sell eggs to others- you really should not do this due to unknown withdrawal times. Best thing you can do is concentrate on good nutrition, good ventilation, minimal stress ect, so they can recover on their own. If they are acting fine and egg production is ok, chances are you do not have anything too severe.

Back
Top Bottom