coughing peacock..?

love.gif

I have a video of a peachick that has been gasping and sneezing for six or seven weeks. I would love to know how to post that video... This week I too that chick to the vet when I was having some fecal floats done.

I was fully expecting gape worms but when the vet put the scope down the throat and esophagus she found nothing. The tissue was normal in color, no swelling, no mucus, the sinus looked good, no nasal discharge, and the eyes are bright and clear.

But the chick gasps with nearly every breath and sneezes or coughs with about every six breaths. She gave the bird a shot of Ivermectin and a steroid and after two days I see no difference. The vet has no clue what the problem could be and has posted on her vet forum trying to find answers. I did hear her say under her breath she wants to do a necropsy if it dies.
roll.png
We also did a separate fecal on just that bird and other than the Cocci that the entire pen has she found no worm eggs at all.

Does this sound like what you are seeing? Anybody have any experience with this?

Bill, I have a little BS hen chick that is my problem child for 2014. I didn't even hatch her, she was hatched by my friend and was the only live chick from his second hatch, he brought her here so she could be with my chicks who were 1 day younger. She has some kind of leg problem that I simply cannot figure out, they just seem to be very weak and have been like this since she was about 4 weeks old, she's 5 months now. I noticed that she seems to gasp a bit while eating, I don't see coughing or sneezing just a gasp like she can't get the food down or get her breath between swallows. I'll keep you posted if anything changes. For your video, I think it has to be uploaded to Youtube or one of those and then you can link to it.

UC Davis recently found vitamin A deficiencies in a bunch of turkey poults, so that might be worth looking at, too.

-Kathy

UC Davis recently found vitamin A deficiencies in a bunch of turkey poults, so that might be worth looking at, too.

-Kathy

lol, bet they aren't feeding those turkey poults carrots like all our peas get
lau.gif

I'd feel bad if I ever threw away a carrot peeling
gig.gif

-Kathy

lol, bet they aren't feeding those turkey poults carrots like all our peas get :lau

I'd feel bad if I ever threw away a carrot peeling :gig

No carrots, for them, lol. It's supposed to be quite rare in flocks fed a complete feed, but sure doesn't hurt to research such things after the more common ailments have been ruled out.

-Kathy

Thats exactly what my BS chick was doing befor we put her on the Tylan 50! Now its just a small sneeze. Even when she was sleeping she had her beak open and I listened to her chest and it was really congested but sounds clear now. I would try the Tylan 50 at .23 cc twice a day and see if she improves.

Back
Top Bottom