Could a heavy laying strain of goose be developed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by iamcuriositycat, Jun 2, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Is anyone working on it? I have two geese--a toulouse I raised with my flock of ducks, and a chinese I just adopted from a waterfowl rescue. They are such intelligent, fascinating creatures. They are so SMART and beautiful, and I want a whole bunch of them but...

I have a rule in my yard that the animals all have to do something useful. Two geese are useful as guardians. But more would be decadent, lol. But if there were a strain that could lay the way Indian Runners or magpies do... I'd be all over that. I'd trade in one of my duck flocks for a goose flock, happily. I do love my ducks but... geese are just cool.

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible? I mean, ducks don't *naturally* lay 300 eggs a year--those strains have been selectively bred over many, many generations. I don't have enough space to raise enough geese to even start a project like that, but I was wondering whether anyone is working on it. Or is there a really good reason why it hasn't already been done?

Thoughts?

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I am sure any good breeder does keep productivity in mind while breeding. Just like fertility is important. But I don't think there is a market for goose eggs (or turkey) like there is for duck and chicken eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by