could anyone tell me if this is a true Ameraucana? I am new at the game.....and could use some inf

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shades of Blue, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I assume this guy is an Ameraucana....but just needed someone that knows for sure. He has an unusual colour to me. Any suggestions.....?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Shades of Blue, and [​IMG]! I would say there is certainly some Easter Egger in him - he sure is handsome with the blue. I would suggest posting over in the Chicken Breeds forum under What Breed or Gender is This? You will get more precise advice there. Best of luck to you.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from nothern Michigan [​IMG]

He is an Easter Egger, and a very handsome fellow.

5. He is very close to being an Ameraucana. Besides the color, he would pass as an Ameraucana. He is an Easter Egger (a cross that carries the blue egg gene) though, but he still probably has a lot of Ameraucana blood in him.

He's gorgeous though, I love the color!

~~Ms. B :)

6. Shades of Blue

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    thanks for all the advice.....he is very pretty and wonderful to work around. I wondered if he was an EE and thought the best way is to ask on here. I think I got this info moved over to Breed and Gender as suggested. [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he is an ee. he looks like maybe blue birchen kinda in coloring

8. Shades of Blue

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    so if he maybe has some birchen maran in him.....and I bred him back to an Ameraucana....would I get a possible olive egger? I noticed he has pink on his toes and the center row in his comb is trying to be taller than the other two rows. Thanks for your input.....

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    for an olive egger i would breed him to a marans hen or another brown egg layer since his background is really unknown but he is definitely carrying the blue egg gene

10. Shades of Blue

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a Welsummer here so maybe that would be a good experiment. I don't have a maran hen yet but was thinking of buying a couple of wheatens. So now I might go shopping sooner than later and get ready for spring....lol Thanks for you info....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by