Could chickens stop laying because it's too hot?

teamblock

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have three chickens: a Black Star, a Rhode Island Red, and a Barred Plymouth Rock. The Black Star and the Rhode Island Red have been laying regularly, almost daily, for a few months - the Barred Rock isn't old enough to lay yet. The chickens free-range all day throughout my yard and go into the coop at night.

Now suddenly both birds haven't laid an egg for six days! They both seem healthy and happy and there hasn't been any unusual events or changes that I know of, except it's suddenly gotten a lot hotter here, into the 80s and even low 90s on some days. Could that contribute to a lack of eggs? I've been giving them plenty of shade and water. I have read about egg production slowing in the winter but maybe they aren't adjusted to this new heat?

(My other guess is that they've been laying somewhere outside of their usual coop, but if so, they are really hiding them, I have looked everywhere.)

Mine seem to slow down in the heat of summer, but they've never stopped entirely. I suspect they are hiding them, or perhaps you have an egg thief.

My flock will always have a bad laying day when there's been a weather swing, from hot to cold or cold to hot or dry to wet. But six days is a long time. I'm with flockwatcher, there's something else going on.

Back
Top Bottom