Could Electrolytes be a bad idea?

RGB RIP

Chirping
Jun 11, 2021
Before our long heatwave started, I had been switching off between ACV and a lactobacillus supplement in the girls' waterer. Then I read that when it's hot, you should stop giving ACV and give them electrolytes instead. So I switched to the Rooster Booster probiotic and electrolyte supplement. Not long after, I saw that one of my hens was getting heat stressed even when the temperature was only in the low-mid 80s. Now because it's over 100 degrees every day, I've been keeping them inside in the air conditioning during the hottest parts of the day. But even in the cool house, I see her panting quite often.

Then today I read an article saying that unless your chickens are sick, you shouldn't give them electrolytes because they're mostly salt. This particular hen does drink a lot of water, so now I'm wondering if the electrolytes are raising her blood pressure, which is in turn making her less heat tolerant and causing her to pant more, which in turn is making her drink more water, so that it's a spiraling problem. The Rooster Booster instructions only call for using a very small amount, but I'm still wondering if I should stop it altogether and just give them plain water for a while.

Has anyone ever experiences this problem with electrolytes and chickens?

Oh, my husband would kill me! Lucky birdies you have there.
90 is a cool day here, and its ALWAYS humid. Don't tell my girls coming inside is an option 😂
Yeah, I may have started a bad thing. Saturday morning it was still pretty cool and the girls were outside, when the RIR pecked at the back door to be let in. I opened the door and she strolled in and climbed into the covered kitty litter box I gave them to nest in. I went about my business, and half an hour later I heard loud clucking. She was standing by the door again, waiting to be let out. Apparently that's now her nesting box of choice.

Focus on sweat, while understandable, is misguided. Look at where you are putting your feet. Chicken droppings look much different in hot conditions than cold - they consume more water, their droppings tend to be much looser.

THAT is where your missing electrolytes are going.

You'll probably want to wash that up.

:lau

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. When it first started heating up and the hens were looking stressed in even 85 degree weather, I started to panic, and all sorts of online articles stressed electrolytes. But now that we've got highs every day over 100, I'm bringing them inside as soon as it hits the low 90s anyway. They spend the whole afternoon in the air conditioning, so I've decided to stop the electrolytes entirely for the time being and see if that makes things better. They seem to prefer cool plain water anyway. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll have figured out a better solution than indoor chickens, but for right now it's working ok.

They should be able to acclimate to the heat.

My chickens think of anything under 90 as a cool day. We haven't had temperatures up to 100 this year, but my previous flock managed to come through that sort of weather.

Thanks, everyone. When it first started heating up and the hens were looking stressed in even 85 degree weather, I started to panic, and all sorts of online articles stressed electrolytes. But now that we've got highs every day over 100, I'm bringing them inside as soon as it hits the low 90s anyway. They spend the whole afternoon in the air conditioning, so I've decided to stop the electrolytes entirely for the time being and see if that makes things better. They seem to prefer cool plain water anyway. Maybe by the end of the summer I'll have figured out a better solution than indoor chickens, but for right now it's working ok.

Please do not let your flock tell my flock about the magic of "air conditioning". Not sure I want twelve contemptuously dirty looks all at once.

(I panicked a bit too during our first couple of heat waves this year; granted, they started in April with a week of 85+ days. Based on @aart's recommendation, the girls get electrolytes 1x/week when it's really hot--heat index of 85 or more, since it is very humid here-- with plenty of plain water on the side.)

Electrolytes are meant for short term use. Not sure how often you were using it. When we had our last heat wave (up to 110F) I made a homemade electrolyte mix for the chickens and dogs and ourselves, but they still had access to plain water as well. As soon as the worst of the heat wave was over I discontinued using it.

Back
Top Bottom