Could it be Cocci and is it ok to treat it that way if it is not?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hi everyone..

I'm dealing with the same ill chicken that I posted about here on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5399776
(Thread
Entitled: Yellow skin on lethargic, not eating, young pullet/hen)

She is still ill and since having finished her round of antibiotics it seems she has taken a turn for the worse. (She seemed to have pepped up a little when on it) I was reading up on chicken diseases, and I came across the fact that there are such things as 'winter cocci' and also something like "cocci new coop syndrome".. These I thought could be clues to what is ailing her because it was when the weather started to get cold and right after I had moved them to a larger coop that she started to get ill- or at least showing signs. (The fact that she is not eating very much is the major symptom/problem. Also her poo has been green and actually all sorts of colors except the tale tell sign of red.)

My question is... Is it ok to treat for Cocci if it may not be cocci? Will the treatment surely kill her if it is not Cocci?

I heard that a vet's parasite check may come out clean but the chicken still may have parasites... When I had the vet look for that in the fecal sample, she said all looked 'clean'.. however, I just have this suspicion and gumption to go ahead and treat her for it (and the rest of my hens as well). I am not knowledgeable in chicken diseases, does this sound like a bad idea to anyone?

I just think at this point, I don't have much choice. I expect that if she does not start to eat this week, she will pass on. She has been seeming weaker the last few days.

I'm going to call the vet this morning and ask for some more antibiotics. I figure that could not hurt and may need them to treat her while I treat for the possible Cocci... (Is that okay too?)

Thanks in advance for any replies. I'm desperate to help my chicken!

If one round of antibiotics didn't help her, a second round isn't likely to either. I say treat her for the cocci. The treatment for it won't kill her, though if that IS what it is, not treating her will. Good luck with her!
hugs.gif

Since the vet stated that the fecal sample was 'clean," normally that means it's free from worms and cocci. Did you ask her specifically if it was free from cocci? Normally a few cocci oocysts will show up on the microscopic slide which is about normal. But if the slide is loaded with them, then there's a problem and treatment is required. I'd call the vet and ask if they checked the poop for coccidia. You dont want to medicate your chicken with the incorrect medications....it's a waste of time and money and could cause additional stress on your pullet. Green poop usually indicates she's not eating enough food. Try giving her plain yogurt mixed with scrambled eggs...the probiotic and extra protein might help in the meantime. Perhaps you might want to take another poop sample to your vet and have them check for coccidia if they didnt do it the first time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom