Could It Be Mycoplasmosis!!!

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Why is it on days you think wow I got all my birds in a row something happens.....

I'm freaking out that my turkeys have mycoplasmosis. See I have a large turkey pen. Where my bourbons live. In the pen I have a smaller pen where i am rasing a broad bresteted bronze, a royal palm mix, and a little roo (He is bonded with the bronze) I was growing them out for Thanksgiving. They have been living out there since June. I have noticed over the past couple weeks the palm has been sneezy and had a little upper respatory thing. Didn't pay it much mind, wasn't bad and it went away on its own. Today I went to feed the turkeys and noticed the bronze has a swallen face! I remember reading that was bad. I don't see any discharge. So what's my next step, could it be mycoplasmosis? What If my bourbons are infected? They stick their heads in and eat the feed from the youngsters all the time. What would you all recommend my next step be. I have ducks and chickens as well but their pens are about 50 feet away. I made sure to spray the bottoms of my shoes with bleach when leaving the turkey pen just in case.
20220913_113732.jpg

Turkeys do get mycoplasma gallisepticum, as do chickens, ducks, and most poultry. It is contagious, can make carriers of all exposed, and lasts all their lives. Symptoms may disappear and later can come back. Turkeys have a harder time of it, and a complication, air sacculitis can occur making it more serious. Certain antibiotics—Tylan/ tylosin, tiamulin/Denagard, Baytril/enrofloxacin, and oxytetracycline are some of the ones that may treat symptoms. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who may have carried it? MG alao can be passed vertically through the hatching egg.

Turkeys do get mycoplasma gallisepticum, as do chickens, ducks, and most poultry. It is contagious, can make carriers of all exposed, and lasts all their lives. Symptoms may disappear and later can come back. Turkeys have a harder time of it, and a complication, air sacculitis can occur making it more serious. Certain antibiotics—Tylan/ tylosin, tiamulin/Denagard, Baytril/enrofloxacin, and oxytetracycline are some of the ones that may treat symptoms. Have you added any new birds to the flock recently who may have carried it? MG alao can be passed vertically through the hatching egg.
I usully dont take in birds because im worried about infection. I did get a bourbon red hen for my birthday in May i quarantined her for a month. Still very healthy. The palm mix came from a friend's got him in June . The bronze feed store in May as a poult and the roo I hatched in May, got the eggs from a breeder at Baxter barn (well known breeder around here)

Is it possible for birds to carry the virus and have no symptoms? As far as I know my friends place has never had a problem.

Should I treat or just cull the 3 birds? I'm ok dispatching them since I was going to do it in a couple months anyway. The idea of my whole poultry flock getting infected freaks me out.

Is there a way to test my bourbons without killing them? I have done a mereks test and you have to provide a dead bird. I was mereks free btw 😁

Mycoplasma gallisepticum is pretty much all around us in wild birds and in chickens. But a lot of people bring it in with new additions to their flock. Many birds may nit show symptoms of it, and when stressed, it can become symptomatic. There is testing available through your state vet, and privately through a national lab called Zoologix, and perhaps others. Zoologix will do a respiratory panel of tests of 8 diseases from swabs that you collect on your own birds. Here is a link:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom