Could it be wry neck?

KRobin50

Chirping
May 24, 2020
Hello,

I’ve been reading previous posts about wry neck symptoms and am wondering if my year old Silkie rooster might have the condition. Can their neck also go down between the legs? I noticed my rooster was acting off starting a few weeks back. He would put his head down and act like he was frantically itching something on his chest. Then he’d lose his balance and fall over but then get right back up. I thought maybe he has mites but can’t see any on him and the other chickens in the coop aren’t showing signs of having mites. He’s eating and drinking ok. I’ve separated him and am keeping an eye on him making sure he doesn’t get picked on. Could he possibly have something stuck in his crop? And would he still be able to eat if so? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I took a video of him but not sure if I can upload it here? It seems it’s only photos?

He would put his head down and act like he was frantically itching something on his chest. Then he’d lose his balance and fall over but then get right back up. I thought maybe he has mites

He’s eating and drinking ok. I’ve separated him and am keeping an eye on him making sure he doesn’t get picked on. Could he possibly have something stuck in his crop? And would he still be able to eat if so?
The video would be good. Upload to youtube and provide us a link.

I would re-check for lice/mites, look for them at night with a flashlight. Check around the vent, under wings, at the base of his tail at the preening gland, etc.

Make sure his crop is emptying overnight - feel the crop first thing in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink - it should be empty. If it's not, then let us know.

Photos of his poop may be helpful.
What do you feed?

Unfortunately I’m not able to upload a video. I did add a few pics that show him pecking at his chest. I think he may have a compacted crop. It feels hard and I compared it to the other chickens and it’s definitely bigger. I’ve been giving hime water with Epsom salts and vegetable oil. I’d like to try a more natural route before I do any medications. I’ve read about making them throw up but I’ve heard that may not be safe and I am a novice. Any advice?

Attachments

• BA22BAB1-4233-429A-B73B-3CC9AB91E4EC.jpeg
    BA22BAB1-4233-429A-B73B-3CC9AB91E4EC.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 14
  • E419A976-C024-4C78-BA3C-6B7CF55028A0.jpeg
    E419A976-C024-4C78-BA3C-6B7CF55028A0.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 15
  • E898BA7D-B483-48F1-AA2F-4EB1654D1980.jpeg
    E898BA7D-B483-48F1-AA2F-4EB1654D1980.jpeg
    669.1 KB · Views: 15
Also his poop is scant and on the dryer side. I feed him Scratch and Peck and I do give some of it fermented. He also eats grass and it has been longer blades now that it’s summer.

Is he like that all the time?
I would give him vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex once a day.
See that he's eating.

If his crop still has food in it in the morning before he eats/drinks, then I would suggest that you begin treatment following the article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Is the scratch and peck in pellet form or is it the loose grain type feed? The biggest problem I've seen folks mention using the loose grain type feed is that some birds only pick out their favorite things and don't consume the rest - this can leave them deficient in nutrition, since as a whole the feed is nutritionally balanced. If he's not eating all of it, then consider getting pellet form or switching feed to see if that makes a difference.

Do you provide grit?

Yes, I do provide grit and the chickens get out to forage but not every day. I checked his crop this morning and it was empty. Thank you for the the link to the compacted crop remedies! I did give him coconut oil and he’s now pooping so that’s a good sign. Ive attached a couple of his poop pics. This was just before I gave him the coconut oil, then he pooped 2 more times and it was runny of course from the oil. As for his food, I do feed the grain type but I also ferment much of it and they seem to eat all of it. I’m leaning away from the wry neck possibility because he’s not hanging his head down all the time. It seems more that it’s a reaction to an irritated crop. I’m watching to see if the crop pecking stops. So far he’s still doing it. I very much appreciate all the advice given. Thank you!

Attachments

• C116F74E-9EEA-4D04-AE84-8D1006A8EBAF.jpeg
    C116F74E-9EEA-4D04-AE84-8D1006A8EBAF.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 956A06C3-AFD0-49AD-A4FF-5D9AE18BC07F.jpeg
    956A06C3-AFD0-49AD-A4FF-5D9AE18BC07F.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 12
Poop doesn't look bad to me.

You've looked at his skin really well - there's no lesions, impacted feather follicles, crusty areas, etc.? Just checking.

Hopefully it's a crop problem and you will be able to correct it.

I checked his skin again and I don’t see any signs of mites or lesions. I’m giving him a daily bath with diatomaceous earth and herbs. I also did a spray with garlic juice and essential oils of lavender and spearmint. Some other ideas I may be thinking is I wonder if he has an eyesight issue too. He seems very cautious about his surroundings and looks at the ground a lot. He seems to struggle a bit eating grass like he’s not sure where it is.If it were a neurological problem would it be constant? There are times he’s very upright and will crow. He’s not lethargic and is eating regularly although it may be a bit less than usual. Also are there natural things I can feed him that will help repel bugs? I heard garlic is good but not sure how much or feed in such a way that he likes it.

I have a question about dosage for the B complex. I have the capsule form with 50mgs in each. How much should I give per day? I’ve also been reading selenium is good, but too much could be toxic. I have 50 MCG tablets. How much should I give please?

Back
Top Bottom