could my BR hen have frost bite on her comb and face?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldutch123, Dec 10, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    This is pretty new and I wondered is it frost bite? It looks like there is a little powder on her comb. But it can't be removed. Kinda like dry skin. Can anyone help? The pics are kinda hard to see but it is mostly on her face. It's cold here but their coop is draft free and insulated. They free range during the day though.
    [​IMG] [/img]

[​IMG] [/img]

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Frost bite is usually black. I have a rooster recovering from a mild yeast infection on his comb. You might try some clotrimazole or miconazole for athlete's foot or vaginal yeast infections, just a dab on it everyday for a month or so and see if it helps.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You might also treat it with Blu-kote. I've used it for pox as well as frost bite. It's a fungicide as well as antibiotic.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mild frostbite can look like that. If she's easy to get along with, vaseline on the combs can prevent frostbite by sealing out moisture. In a dry environment, frostbite is much less likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by