Could my chicken go blind?

If the eye hasn't been injured or received an insect sting, she may have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. I would look for any marks around the eye from pecking or a sting. Do you see any nasal drainage or any pus in the eye? Does she have any chest rattles or cough/sneeze? If you believe it to be a respiratory disease, oxytetracycline in her water may be good to use if she is drinking well, or Tylan 50 injectible if she needs shots. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If the eye hasn't been injured or received an insect sting, she may have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza.  I would look for any marks around the eye from pecking or a sting.  Do you see any nasal drainage or any pus in the eye?  Does she have any chest rattles or cough/sneeze?  If you believe it to be a respiratory disease, oxytetracycline in her water may be good to use if she is drinking well, or Tylan 50 injectible if she needs shots.  Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases:  http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
this is what my boss told me today (she is the lady I got my chickens from). I was told to separate her from the rest and give her these certain electrolytes, which are unavailable to me immediately. What else could I possibly do for her? Her eye has opened more today, but there is a bit of white hoppy stuff, kinda looks like mucus. I'm about to clean it out again. Please, help!!!

Last edited:
Here's a picture of her after I cleaned her eye. She didn't start leaving her mouth open until I cleaned it

Your picture didn't come through. Is she holding her mouth open to breathe? Can you get the antibiotics tomorrow? Here is an electrolyte recipe that is easy to make. If you have Neosporin ointment or any saline contact solution, You could put that in her eye after cleaning it. Hopefully your boss doesn't have MG in her flock.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of TheChickenChick.com
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Sorry, I may not have been clear.. I have seven chickens total. I bought my five chicks from her, who are now beginning to lay. I got my sick girl and her friend from another guy. The guy had about a hundred chickens. Thirty white, thirty rhode islands, and forty australorps. I chose the two whites to replace my jersey giant who was killed by a predator. I will definitely try the electro recipe an give it to her ASAP. Thank you!

She's doing better. The anti biotic definitely helped her eye, and I took the off a couple days ago. Now, her eye is beginning to close back up, so I'm getting another pack of it tomorrow. We just moved houses, so once I saw that she was doing better I put her back in with her fam. All seven of them have seemed to settled in quite perfectly; I have about three of my babies that began to lay :) although, a cat did attack her (and ofcourse cut her eye, the bad one) but it has healed nicely and she doesn't seem nearly affected by it. Believe me, I got there right in time. Chased the darn thing off... Not my babies!!! :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom