Could my duck be hiding a nest?

Gracenotes

Chirping
Jun 5, 2020
I have two pet ducks- Donald & Daisy (named by my Disney loving husband) are typically inseparable. We live in town, but have a generous yard and they know their property line well. Lately I have noticed Donald wondering without his mate. At first this concerned me- especially since I couldn’t find Daisy in my yard. She always seems to show up again at some point though. She consistently gives me an egg a day until the time she started disappearing. I haven’t found an egg since. I can’t imagine where she could be. I have thoroughly searched my yard and can’t find her or a nest. I’m sure she will show up for food at some point- but this is really weird behavior from her since she NEVER leaves Donald ducks side. What do I do? I hate to lock them up- but she must be nesting in some neighbors yard so we don’t take her eggs! 😂

I have two pet ducks- Donald & Daisy (named by my Disney loving husband) are typically inseparable. We live in town, but have a generous yard and they know their property line well. Lately I have noticed Donald wondering without his mate. At first this concerned me- especially since I couldn’t find Daisy in my yard. She always seems to show up again at some point though. She consistently gives me an egg a day until the time she started disappearing. I haven’t found an egg since. I can’t imagine where she could be. I have thoroughly searched my yard and can’t find her or a nest. I’m sure she will show up for food at some point- but this is really weird behavior from her since she NEVER leaves Donald ducks side. What do I do? I hate to lock them up- but she must be nesting in some neighbors yard so we don’t take her eggs! 😂
She may be going broody and looking for a private place to hatch eggs. I would pick a day that you can observe - watch where she goes. You would be surprised where a duck will choose to brood.

Ours always hid nests.

Just a matter of time before a neighbor finds a nest and complains if you are letting them wonder that far. There is always that one neighbor and it's your responsibility to keep your animals on your property.
I completely agree- thankfully our nearest neighbors are duck lovers and have gone so far as to put lettuce out to tempt our ducks to visit them... still- I sure don’t like her wondering.

She may be going broody or just found a 'better' spot to lay.
Is she coming back to sleep in the coop at night?

She definitely sounds like she’s broody. I have a couple rouens that did that, I went outside one day and only saw the male and got worried, but eventually the females came out. They kinda just came and went for the first few days but eventually they stayed on their nests all the time. At the time I had NO clue where they were laying and several times thought they were killed 😅 eventually I found their nests, and they were for sure broody.

Back
Top Bottom