could my feed be bad???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Taylor, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I have been buying a feed called "faithway" brand 16% layer pellets for 3 months now, my hens aren't laying any eggs! 1 a day maybe. before i was feeding co-op brand layer pellets and they were laying just fine, it actually made them start laying the co-op brand did. then when i switched them over the other brand of feed, their egg priduction decreased to 1-2 eggs a day, and they get extra light during the day, they get 16 hrs of sunlight per day and none are sick, no egg-eaters, mo hiding the eggs, freash water always, so could it be the bad feed causung them to stop, the reason we started using it was because it's like half the price of the co-op brand of feed. any suggestions??[​IMG]

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    One easy way to find out: restart the coop brand.
    If it's half the price, they cut corners somewhere and nutritionally it may be cheating the hens.

3. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It could be just the fall molting.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Consider both possibilities. Molting shutting my egg production down now but a cheaper coop formulation also sucks the wind out of my combined birds' ability to produce eggs.

5. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    they're new pullets, i've bought 2 bags of that Dumor brand layer pellet from tractor supply and when that runs out i'll go back to the co-op brand feed like i have always done before. maybe that'll help and that faithway brand has no smell to it, and the Dumor brand has a aroma to it like mollases kinda like.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

DuMor is no longer my choice, but it is a balanced feed. Feed it. Give them a can of tuna fish or two as well. If the former feed was too cheap, there likely was a reason why. If laying resumes within a week? You've got your answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by