Could my Girl be a... Guy??

kaylee gee

Songster
9 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Connecticut
I hatched out an Ameraucana chick on July 5th, and I *thought* I was positive that she is a pullet! But this morning she got rather buck with me because I would not let her peck my ring (i gently pushed her back on her chest, which maybe she could have taken for a "chest bump"?) She then proceeded to jump up and kick and peck at my hand, so I batted her across the run. She left me alone after that, but it got me wondering. Here is a photo, tell me what you think!

ameraucana DO NOT have green legs they have sate legs and only come in 8 colors. go check out the ameracuan breed club your pullet is 100% ee...they also do not lay blue green eggs, they lay a nice even light-dark blue no hint on any other color.

your the one that needs to refran from showing butt fluff and accept the fact that that pullet is an easter egger. i would never sell that as an "ameraucana"

Last edited:
since i apparently cannot lock a thread on this site, i will simply stop replying. i got my answer a long time ago. everyone else can just go lay an egg.
You asked a question and got an answer. You can get in a huff, but it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. As are your friends who are breeding "Ameraucanas" and selling them incorrectly.

Your chicken isn't wheaten. She's red and white or something along those lines. This is wheaten:

"Slate" means gray. Your chicken has yellow legs. "green" legs are a definitive indicator of an Easter Egger, or "Mutt", chicken, which is what your friends seem to be breeding.

If you don't want to learn about your chickens, if you want to ignore the intelligent answers from those who know a lot more about the breed than you, you can choose to. Or, you can get over the fact that your chicken isn't the expensive bird you thought she was and learn about the lovely breed that she is. But, ignoring the facts doesn't make you right...

being rude and inconsiderate of those who are trying to provide you with the proper info on a breed is not the right thing to do. you can post pics of the flock if you want. yes your gender question was answered but you have also gone on with the whole ameracuana issue and we have done nothing but try to inform you on why your baby is not a pure ameracuana but an ee. she can lay any color egg as well from white to brown to green to blue and anything in between depending on what egg genes she is carrying.

slate colored legs are gray in color, they do not have a hint of green on them. if i had a good shot of slate legs i would post but as of right now i don't have any.

roll.png

I would say she looks buff laced. very pretty! sounds like you got a little miss sassy pants there. Also, don't take it personally, the EE vs Ameraucana debate is a long-standing argument with heated conversations. This site is for learning and has lots of good info on it. Don't take it personally :)

That's a pullet, small comb and primarily the coloration/feather type gives it away. Some pullets will attack people, but certainly isn't a trait I intend to tolerate be it hen or cock. Some hens will gentle down with handling, others won't.

God bless,
Daniel.

I would say pullet as I do not see any saddle feathers, but she is rather pink faced. Is that the same chick in your avatar?
Yes it's the same chick :)

That's a pullet, small comb and primarily the coloration/feather type gives it away. Some pullets will attack people, but certainly isn't a trait I intend to tolerate be it hen or cock. Some hens will gentle down with handling, others won't.

God bless,
Daniel.
She is not aggressive. I am assuming she thought I was challenging her, so I continued to do so and she backed down. She is at the age of setting her place in the pecking order. She is also the sweetest chicken we have, as even my 3 year old can handle her.

Last edited:
Pullet. Don't wear the ring, hand feed lots of treats, move slowly around her, talk to her
roll.png
The usual things you do to tame chickens. Sometimes it works, other times mean personalities win out, so you'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom