Could my Girl be a... Guy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaylee gee, Oct 27, 2012.

1. kaylee gee

kaylee gee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    I hatched out an Ameraucana chick on July 5th, and I *thought* I was positive that she is a pullet! But this morning she got rather buck with me because I would not let her peck my ring (i gently pushed her back on her chest, which maybe she could have taken for a "chest bump"?) She then proceeded to jump up and kick and peck at my hand, so I batted her across the run. She left me alone after that, but it got me wondering. Here is a photo, tell me what you think!

[​IMG]

2. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say pullet as I do not see any saddle feathers, but she is rather pink faced. Is that the same chick in your avatar?

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    That's a pullet, small comb and primarily the coloration/feather type gives it away. Some pullets will attack people, but certainly isn't a trait I intend to tolerate be it hen or cock. Some hens will gentle down with handling, others won't.

God bless,
    Daniel.

4. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    Yes it's the same chick :)

She is not aggressive. I am assuming she thought I was challenging her, so I continued to do so and she backed down. She is at the age of setting her place in the pecking order. She is also the sweetest chicken we have, as even my 3 year old can handle her.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet. Don't wear the ring, hand feed lots of treats, move slowly around her, talk to her [​IMG] The usual things you do to tame chickens. Sometimes it works, other times mean personalities win out, so you'll have to wait and see.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    she is an easter egger pullet

7. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    she is tame already, she was hand-raised. but thanks for the tips.

8. kaylee gee

Jul 5, 2012
    Lehigh Acres, FL
    Both her parents are Ameraucanas.

9. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

X2. Hatcheries sometimes label Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas. You can tell by her leg coloring and general feather color. She is a very pretty EE though. :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, easter egger pullet. I'll bet her parents were hatchey stock, which are not true bred but are sold as such.

Funny, I have a mixed pullet that looks quite like her, but my bird is the product of a mixed/barred rock roo over an ee/leghorn hen. Doesn't get more mixed than that! I thought my bird was a roo at first, also, mainly due to that red coming in. But mine patterned over the entire body, like your pretty girl, so lucky me I got all pullets that hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by