Could my Girl be a... Guy??

X2. Hatcheries sometimes label Easter Eggers as Ameraucanas. You can tell by her leg coloring and general feather color. She is a very pretty EE though.
big_smile.png

I agree, easter egger pullet. I'll bet her parents were hatchey stock, which are not true bred but are sold as such.

Funny, I have a mixed pullet that looks quite like her, but my bird is the product of a mixed/barred rock roo over an ee/leghorn hen. Doesn't get more mixed than that! I thought my bird was a roo at first, also, mainly due to that red coming in. But mine patterned over the entire body, like your pretty girl, so lucky me I got all pullets that hatch!

Actually, her parents were a friend of mine's, who breeds them. She has never had any that come from a hatchery. I asked her this morning, and she said that her Ameraucana hen had flown over the wall of the run into the run of her Barred Rocks (they normally clip wings, but my friend has been ill and hadn't gotten to it in a while), so I think my girl is a result of that incident! What's the chance that the one egg I got that hatched (i got 5 eggs, and she was the only one that hatched and lived) was the cross from that mishap! lol well she is my baby girl, and pure or not, she is awesome and sweet. Thanks everyone for your help in being sure she is my sweet "girl" and not my sweet "boy"!

By the way, can someone tell me what color she is, technically? Her feathers, upon closer inspection, are that dusty tan color, with white edges.

Sorry hon, but that bird did not have a barred rock for a father. If she did, she'd be barred, to some degree or another. Your bird isn't any "color", one reason she's not considered a pure ameraucana.

Sorry hon, but that bird did not have a barred rock for a father. If she did, she'd be barred, to some degree or another. Your bird isn't any "color", one reason she's not considered a pure ameraucana.
well since you apparently know so much, tell me what she is. all of my friends' ameraucana's have green legs and are pure bred for chicken-generations. the only instance of when there was a cross at all was when this hen flew the coop, so to speak. as that is the only explanation for why she does not have green legs as well, that is what i am going with.

really, i would refrain from showing too much of your butt fluff if i were you.
somad.gif

i apologize if this was a mean post, but i am tired of people acting like they know so much! i have been dealing with it all day, and now i get it here... >.<

Last edited:
ameraucana DO NOT have green legs they have sate legs and only come in 8 colors. go check out the ameracuan breed club your pullet is 100% ee...they also do not lay blue green eggs, they lay a nice even light-dark blue no hint on any other color.

your the one that needs to refran from showing butt fluff and accept the fact that that pullet is an easter egger. i would never sell that as an "ameraucana"

Last edited:
The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Eight varieties have been recognized by both organizations since 1984. They are: Black, Blue, Blue wheaten, Brown red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White. These same eight specific color patterns are recognized in both large fowl and bantams (miniatures).

Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.

here follow this link to see the colors that ameraucana's come in
http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards. Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.

Eight varieties have been recognized by both organizations since 1984. They are: Black, Blue, Blue wheaten, Brown red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White. These same eight specific color patterns are recognized in both large fowl and bantams (miniatures).

Perhaps 99 percent of chickens sold as Araucanas (or Ameraucanas) by commercial hatcheries are actually mongrels (aka Easter Egg chickens), meeting the requirements of neither breed.

here follow this link to see the colors that ameraucana's come in
http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html
according to that link, she is very close to the wheaten coloring, and i think she will be even closer as she matures. she has some black feathering here and there, and there is coming in more all the time. thats the closest i can come to her coloring name.

i have 3 ee chicks that were labled as Ameracuana the reason know they are ee's are for various reasons, leg color, over all color of the bird, not to mention one has slight feathers down its legs i just know what i am looking for in true pure ameracuana and to get pure ones you will have to pay 40+ for eggs and thats most of the time only for 6 eggs and doesn't include shipping

Back
Top Bottom