Could nature be to blame

Moving them from outside to inside may confuse them too. I only bring my ducks in if they are injured or it’s under 0 degrees. If it’s in the 40s where you’re at then they’ll be fine. My ducks like 40 degree weather better then 90 out
Yes they do! During the summer when we hit the 90's our Duckies went to their platform voluntarily to drink and get out of the sun. But they also hate frost but mainly because their pool and their water freezes.

Winter hit hard and out of the blue here too at the very beginning of November. It definitely messed with Daphne’s egg-laying to a scary degree, but she powered through and is taking winter like a champ so far. It was -5 last night and no ducks became ice cubes (I was quite worried, to be honest), so I’m guessing that yours will be just fine at 40 :)

Winter hit hard and out of the blue here too at the very beginning of November. It definitely messed with Daphne’s egg-laying to a scary degree, but she powered through and is taking winter like a champ so far. It was -5 last night and no ducks became ice cubes (I was quite worried, to be honest), so I’m guessing that yours will be just fine at 40 :)
I’m so glad to hear Daphne is doing better!!!!

I’m so glad to hear Daphne is doing better!!!!

Thank you. She’s entirely stopped laying now, which I’m very happy about. She needs all of her nutritients to stay warm! Her current complaints are about not being able to swim much (I’m only using the concrete mixing tub at this point and only for short periods when it’s above 25 degrees) and about being bored. The ‘Scovies are grumpy too and they get into brief squabbles sometimes (I bite you, you bite me, we both bite Daphne, etc.). Stupid winter!

How is your crew doing?

Thank you. She’s entirely stopped laying now, which I’m very happy about. She needs all of her nutritients to stay warm! Her current complaints are about not being able to swim much (I’m only using the concrete mixing tub at this point and only for short periods when it’s above 25 degrees) and about being bored. The ‘Scovies are grumpy too and they get into brief squabbles sometimes (I bite you, you bite me, we both bite Daphne, etc.). Stupid winter!

How is your crew doing?

You’re so funny! My babies took a vote and all agree that Mom (me) should take them to Florida for winter next year! They get pretty bent out of shape and let me know it when I don’t let them swim in the mornings. After Dabby’s tail feathers froze solid I thought it might be best to wait til afternoons for a while. Bad mean Mom!

I'm just curious as to what kind of housing you have for them to withstand those temperatures? do you have a heater? My grandpa had chickens (about 3000) and he never did unless they were babies in the brooder house and that was also in New England and it got cold as ****!

How is your crew doing?
The Duckies agree! Winter is böring!
When it is nice outside they try to find something to eat in the grass, but when it is damp and cold they mostly sleep they'll day away. And yes, complaints about the frozen pool and waterer. Winter ducks!!!

I'm just curious as to what kind of housing you have for them to withstand those temperatures? do you have a heater? My grandpa had chickens (about 3000) and he never did unless they were babies in the brooder house and that was also in New England and it got cold as ****!

They are inside an insulated barn. I haven’t been using artificial heating after much consideration and discussion with others in my area. They have very deep bedding that I keep very clean and dry and they are safe from drafts but still have good ventilation. Inside the barn, they are in a stall at night. Inside the stall, they have lots of cozy nesting options. I did cave and buy a chicken warming pad, but haven’t used it yet. Most days have not been quite as cold as last night. Mostly, it is in the 20s during the day and teens to low 20s at night, which they are fine with. So far, so good!

They are inside an insulated barn. I haven’t been using artificial heating after much consideration and discussion with others in my area. They have very deep bedding that I keep very clean and dry and they are safe from drafts but still have good ventilation. Inside the barn, they are in a stall at night. Inside the stall, they have lots of cozy nesting options. I did cave and buy a chicken warming pad, but haven’t used it yet. Most days have not been quite as cold as last night. Mostly, it is in the 20s during the day and teens to low 20s at night, which they are fine with. So far, so good!
I do the same with the deep dry bedding and I know "they say" that ducks have all this down to keep them warm but when I pick them up they just feel so skinny to me. Makes me want to put a little duck sweater on them and I'm in Georgia!

The Duckies agree! Winter is böring!
When it is nice outside they try to find something to eat in the grass, but when it is damp and cold they mostly sleep they'll day away. And yes, complaints about the frozen pool and waterer. Winter ducks!!!
We walk and look for what’s left of the dandelion weeds but it’s only itty bitty leaves now. Thank goodness for patches of snow and ice or else forage time would be so boring!

Back
Top Bottom