Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Rudy

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

NatureNikki

Chirping
May 21, 2017
NJ
Calling out to my new BYC Family..... Do you think this chicken could be a Roo?
Time will tell. Never been so entertained & confused. :)
Ruby 8 weeks 6-3-17.jpg

How old is it? Looks like a roo to me.
We bought them all together on April 13th. The Wyandottes were bigger chicks. I'm guessing Ruby & Marsala (the Wyandottes) are between 8-10 weeks. Ruby's personality is the chief. lol These 2 were supposed to be Golden Wyandotte hens.

so.. ya'll were right & so was my gut from the start. It's just a matter of time before our Roo does some damage. He has fluffed to show off as I hand feed the 5 others.... now I am observing a whole new level of behavior. He steps back & watches every minute of interaction with me & the others (they eat treats from my hand, jump on my back and sit on my lap) Today, he stared me down, more than usual - as I was emptying a frozen ice block with blueberries in the coop. Then.... unfortunately , instead of him fluffing all his beautiful feathers to be proud... only his neck feathers arose. Ughhh... The past 3 days, he has chosen the smallest girl and grabs her neck by his beak so hard she screams. I understand this is so called courting.... but I wanted all hens.
We got 2+2+2 chicks at the same time. 2 Jersey blacks, 2 Rhode Reds & 2 Wyandottes. He doesn't even pay attention to the his breed Wyandotte .... focuses on the runt of the group. The crowing (40x a day) wouldn't be an issue if he wasn't showing signs of aggression. He is getting surrendered this week to the dealer for their farm. My gut never fails... Our coop is predator proof... and the girls are running to me for help. From the very first day ...they all got along & BAM... this one was the nudge.

Back
Top Bottom