Could somebody explain ....

Craig Cowan

Chirping
Aug 23, 2020
Westchester County, NY
One of my hens ( Bantam) has gone what I believe to be - Broody. Ok - it’s spring, I’ll deal with it.
Decision was made to let her hatch out. OK.
She’s in nest 90% of the day & night - only comes out fo about 15 min. In middle of day.
She eats, drinks, poops, preens, etc.
she’s been doing this for 5/6 days. Has total of 4 eggs. 2 of hers, &
she has stolen 2 eggs from her room mates. - which makes me think she’s serious. OK
BUT - over last 3 days after having her afternoon break - she gets into the nest box next to where she was
an hour ago. No eggs in this box !
I have so much to learn - Ideas ???
Thanks
Craig

One of my hens ( Bantam) has gone what I believe to be - Broody. Ok - it’s spring, I’ll deal with it.
Decision was made to let her hatch out. OK.
She’s in nest 90% of the day & night - only comes out fo about 15 min. In middle of day.
She eats, drinks, poops, preens, etc.
she’s been doing this for 5/6 days. Has total of 4 eggs. 2 of hers, &
she has stolen 2 eggs from her room mates. - which makes me think she’s serious. OK
BUT - over last 3 days after having her afternoon break - she gets into the nest box next to where she was
an hour ago. No eggs in this box !
I have so much to learn - Ideas ???
Thanks
Craig
Interesting, I don't have any doing that but if someone can answer your question it would be a great reference to know.

What often happens is that another hen is in her nest when she gets back from her daily constitutional so she hops in a different nest and gets comfortable. I've had that happen a few times, I just toss her back into the nest when I notice. I still get good hatches but it's obviously not the best thing to happen.

It's strange that she's done it three days in a row. That doesn't sound right. Something you could try, if you want her to hatch, is to isolate her from the flock. Don't give her the option to go to the wrong nest. Build an enclosure with a nest, food, water, and not much more room. She should still come off of the nest to poop, broodies should instinctively know to not poop in their nests. That same instinct doesn't apply to her food and water so you may be doing some cleaning. Leave her locked in that enclosure until the chicks hatch.

One risk is that she won't accept the move to a new nest and breaks from being broody. I think if you move her at night there is a better chance of her accepting the new nest. Most hens can make that move but occasionally you get one that won't accept it. But keep her locked up until the eggs hatch so she can't go back. I don't know what your coop looks like, can you build a pen around her current nest so you don't have to move her?

If you leave her where the other hens can get to her nest to lay an egg I'd mark the eggs you want her to hatch. I use a Sharpie and can tell at a glance which belong. I check under the hen every day after the others have laid and remove any that don't belong.

The eggs need to all start at the same time and from your post I'm not sure those have. A staggered hatch is stressful for different reasons. I'd collect fresh eggs, mark them, then remove the eggs she has and give her the new ones. As short a time as she has been broody you can still do that.

Back
Top Bottom