Could someone Help Please

Mystorygamer

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2020
Hi all, I'm a little confused and wonder if someone can help, I thought frizzles and polish chickens were 2 different ones, but I noticed an advert in my area as follows, could someone explain to me thanks
:
polishfrizzle.jpg

Advert: Polish Chicken Eggs
Birds are splash, blue, black mottled and black in colour (some white crested). As this line carries a naturally occurring "silk" gene (NO outcrossing has occurred to produce this), these chicks produced will have smooth, frizzled, silked or sizzled feathers.

Attachments

• polishfrizzle.jpg
    polishfrizzle.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1
Frizzled is a feather type, while Polish is a breed. So you can have a frizzled polish, cochin, turken, etc.
If I say I have a standard frizzled blue English orpington hen, 'standard' is telling me the size, 'frizzled' is telling me the feather type, 'blue' is telling me the color, 'English is telling me the place of origin (this is most commonly used to distinguish between English and American orps, and French and American marans), 'orpington' is telling me the breed, and 'hen' is telling me the gender.

Hi all, I'm a little confused and wonder if someone can help, I thought frizzles and polish chickens were 2 different ones, but I noticed an advert in my area as follows, could someone explain to me thanks
:View attachment 2431937
Birds are splash, blue, black mottled and black in colour (some white crested). As this line carries a naturally occurring "silk" gene (NO outcrossing has occurred to produce this), these chicks produced will have smooth, frizzled, silked or sizzled feathers.
welcome2.jpg

Hi
thankyou all for being so quick to reply and for clearing that up for me. I've wanted a frizzle but not sure if being scammed or not, so thankyou. Now other question now, how long will a girl sit on eggs until they hatch and how long do eggs stay fertilised. thanks in advance and thanks for warm welcome

21 days is the incubation period of chicken eggs. Most folks recommend setting eggs fresher than 10 days old. I have successfully incubated eggs twice that age. Just think about how long it takes a hen to lay a clutch prior to going broody.

:View attachment 2431937
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Black_cat did a really nice job explaining things simply. :highfive:

I'm just going to add.. that the frizzled birds pictured do look like Polish.. regarding they are crested, with clean legs. Though I can;t make out comb or actual body type.. I also notice these are bearded. Polish are accepted in both bearded and non.

I also agree that most frizzles sold as only that at hatcheries appear to be frizzled Cochin as far as I can tell.

so after 21 days if no chickens have hatched, does she abandon them, sorry to be so dense, trying to get my head around it thanks
Do you have a broody hen? Some times the pullets will leave the nest way before 21 day. Other times they may sit on an EMPTY air nest way past 21 days. Usually when they have viable eggs under them.. the chick will start to chirp inside the shell before it hatches which HELPS trigger her hormones to change from sitting to raising. They learn each others voice during that time. If everything goes well the mama hen will take her brood out foraging within a day or so after all are done hatching. Nature arranges them to hatch at the same day even though they were laid on different days.

Polish are not known for their sitting qualities.. but many may still be successful broody's, if their hormones fall in line. Line in fact makes a difference, some lines are more broody than others even among the same breed. :)

It's just that I have a broody silkie, but she's been setting for about 2 weeks. I also have a chance of frizzle eggs close by that are quite expensive, hence the questions. Now I guess I make up my mind if I take my chance.

Back
Top Bottom