Could someone let me know what is the best flashlight to get.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ginbart, May 28, 2008.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Could someone let me know what is the best flashlight to get. And where can I get it. I did get the one with 45 limuns. (spelling) But I can't see through the blue or green eggs with that. Tomorrow is day 18 and I want to candle them one time. (something smells) All I need to do is have one blow up in my hand. [​IMG] I think we need a smile with egg on its face. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Ginbart, I just use a Maglite the LED type that uses 2 AA batteries. Mine are all Dominigue eggs, mostly light to medium brown. It worked great in a complete dark room. If U got one that smells, U better sniff it out, asap. With the color of your eggs and day 18 its gonna almost impossible.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I like my surefire 6p with led upgrade.

5. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    Thanks for the flashlight idea. I'm about half way through my first hatch and haven't been able to figure out the candling thing. Didn't think of a dark room either. I have some cuckoo maran eggs which are quite dark, but I couldn't even get it with the polish eggs.

6. Jubaby

Jubaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    West Texas
    Surefire 6P is what I bought. And I could see inside my Ameraucana eggs.

7. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Could you tell me where you got it? Thanks

8. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I got mine at walmart 24.99. It is a rayovac outdoorsman 80 lumens. There is a 45 and an 80 lumens they look the same, so be sure it says 80. I have all green & blue eggs, it works great!

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I got the 45 lumen at walmart and I could even see the brown eggs fine until they were in the last week...then it was just dark! But I did see the brown eggs moving on day 14. I used black duck tape to make a funnel around the lighted part of the flashlight and took them in a totally black room. It was 10 bucks is all It was a dorcy little black flash light

10. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Thanks, I went to Wal Mart today and got the 80 lumens.

Now I need to wait until my husband goes to bed to get it out of my car. If he knew I spent $25.00 on a flashlight he would Sh*t. [​IMG]

Anyway I will check my eggs tonight every carefully because of the smell. [​IMG]

THREE MORE DAYS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by