What's my best option?

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
I'm not sure what the best way to go about finishing my flock...
I planned for a mixed flock with hens only. I am a city girl at heart and am just starting out on attempting to have my mini-homesteading lifestyle. I am not sure how I feel about eating fertilized eggs. I understand there is no difference, but eating fresh eggs is going to be new to me already and I am nervous that I'll get something in an egg that might ruin it all for me...Plus, while it's not specifically against the rules in my neighborhood, I think a rooster would be frowned upon. I could maybe get away with it, but we'll see...

I ordered 10 chicks. 1 was out of stock and 1 died, which left me with 8. So I ordered another 3. Now I'm at 11. It appears that I have at least 1 rooster, probably 2. I was not planning on a rooster, so first instinct says I need to get rid of those 2. That leaves me with 9. We built the coop and are completing the run, which we built based on 11 chicks with a little extra room (could technically be for 12 but I have a few larger breeds that I wanted to give some extra space for). My kids really want to keep the rooster and be able to hatch chicks sometimes. I think mixed breed anything is cool so I think it'd be fun to experiment with that too.

There is a mystery chick at my local feed store that I have been eyeing for a few weeks, maybe a week or 2 behind my current chicks. I would love to add that one, especially if I have to get rid of 1, possibly 2 of my 11. I also think it would be fun to hatch 1 clutch of eggs before getting rid of the rooster(s). Or I can try to keep a rooster and see how it goes...

I guess the largest question is...better to add a new one to the flock now or adding in baby chicks? When my hens do start laying, will the eggs be fertilized immediately? I do have a few broody potential hens, obviously I don't know exactly how they'll be when they get to that point, but does it take a little bit for the hens to get broody, or would they get broody right after they lay their first eggs? Is there even really a market for mixed breed chickens? I think they're fun but I understand most probaby don't feel that way.

Obviously, I can also just suck it up, get rid of my roos, see how our run security and first winter go, and add to the flock with however many we need in the spring.

Lots of questions, sorry I'm a newbie :)

Last edited:
My advice would be to re-home the males. Give yourself and your kids some time to get used to hens and enjoying taking care of them.

Anytime you hatch there will be males and you would need a plan on how you will handle that inevitability.

While there ARE good roosters there are also nasty mean ones. If your kids are young a flogging spurring rooster can inflict serious harm.
It's not worth the risk or emotional trauma in my opinion.

Any pictures of your suspected males?
Folks on here are excellent at spotting a male and can help confirm whether you have one or more.

Yes, I've posted them on the guess my chicken threads. I havent had anyone tell me there's even a possibility that they're hens. T
My advice would be to re-home the males. Give yourself and your kids some time to get used to hens and enjoying taking care of them.

Anytime you hatch there will be males and you would need a plan on how you will handle that inevitability.

While there ARE good roosters there are also nasty mean ones. If your kids are young a flogging spurring rooster can inflict serious harm.
It's not worth the risk or emotional trauma in my opinion.

Any pictures of your suspected males?
Folks on here are excellent at spotting a male and can help confirm whether you have one or mo

Attachments

• 20230517_165707.jpg
    20230517_165707.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230517_132636.jpg
    20230517_132636.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 1
Do not fill your coop this year. I agree - males, especially where children are involved take a lot of experience. A LOT of cockerels do not work out. You probably plan to have this hobby for years - work into it.

Remove the cockerels now as soon as possible. Your pullets will need protection from them if you keep them as they tend to mature earlier. An all hen flock is a nice beginning flock to this hobby.

Next year, pray fro a broody hen... a whole other aspect of chicken keeping, wait and slip a few chicks under her - maybe a rooster chick too. Bring your coop up to full.

3rd year - now look at your older birds - maybe sell a couple of them, the broody hen will generally go broody again, let her set on some eggs, which some will be roosters, (DO not hatch eggs if you think you cannot cull roosters, if that is the case, just get hatchery chicks. Rooster chicks have to be dealt with.

Then you will have an established multi-generational well adjusted flock with good chicken society. It will be healthy and vigorous.

Mrs K

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined. Where are you located, at least which country are you in? You'd be surprised how often that information comes in handy in our discussions. If you modify your profile to show that the information is always handy.

That is definitely a boy.

I'm also going to suggest you get rid of any males. Not because you are guaranteed problems with boys but because the more boys you have the more likely you are to have problems. The only reason you need a boy is if you want fertile eggs. I haven't seen anything in your posts that says you need fertile eggs from your hens.

You are never guaranteed that a hen will ever go broody, even if she is a breed known to go broody. Even if one does, you never know when. Most don't go broody their first laying season, though a few do. You may have to wait a couple of years if one of yours does decide to go broody. There is no need to keep a rooster around that long just in case.

If you ever do get a broody hen you should be able to find fertile eggs to put under her fairly easy, depending some on where you are located. It may even be possible to get newly hatched chicks to slip under her and let her raise them for you. You have alternatives.

So my suggestion is to get rid of those boys as soon as you reasonably can before you grow more attached.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined. Where are you located, at least which country are you in? You'd be surprised how often that information comes in handy in our discussions. If you modify your profile to show that the information is always handy.

That is definitely a boy.

I'm also going to suggest you get rid of any males. Not because you are guaranteed problems with boys but because the more boys you have the more likely you are to have problems. The only reason you need a boy is if you want fertile eggs. I haven't seen anything in your posts that says you need fertile eggs from your hens.

You are never guaranteed that a hen will ever go broody, even if she is a breed known to go broody. Even if one does, you never know when. Most don't go broody their first laying season, though a few do. You may have to wait a couple of years if one of yours does decide to go broody. There is no need to keep a rooster around that long just in case.

If you ever do get a broody hen you should be able to find fertile eggs to put under her fairly easy, depending some on where you are located. It may even be possible to get newly hatched chicks to slip under her and let her raise them for you. You have alternatives.

So my suggestion is to get rid of those boys as soon as you reasonably can before you grow more attached.
I am in Nebraska.

I definately don't need fertile eggs. We got our chickens for egg purposes (and pets and the experience of it all) and I would prefer my eating eggs be not fertile, but I probably could have my arm twisted to try it.

I'll start asking around to see if I can find a home for them.

If the hang up is fertilized eggs, I guarantee you've eaten them in your life without realizing it (people hatch grocery store eggs for kicks).

For multiple reasons (listed above) it's advisable to not keep roosters when starting out, especially if you're not decided if you want to breed or not. And keep in mind if you do plan on hatching someday, you need to have a plan for the 50% males you hatch out.

Back
Top Bottom