Could they REALLY have eaten the whole thing ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Guinea Goonie, May 20, 2010.

1. Yesterday, I pulled the little bucket out of the place where I store the eggs the hens lay. I usually get about 2 to 3 days worth and then off to the house to candle them and put them in cartons and then the frig. I have a few people I gve them to every few weeks.

ANYHOW, I got really distracted and left the bucket FULL of NICE, BROWN and WHITE LARGE LOVELY EGGS. When I realized that I had left them in the chicken barn on top of the cage as I walk out i went to retreive them.

NOT ONE egss was in the bucket, NOT ONE shell was on the floor and NOT ONE hen or roo looked guilty !!!!

I mean is it possible that they ate over 30 eggs and left absolutely nothing !?

It was a sad day, but I guess the birds had a GREAT time.

2. coastaltx

coastaltx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2010
    Third Coast
    Did any of them have egg on their face? [​IMG]

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    It sounds like a rat.

Honestly - a rat will cart away all of the eggs & hide them in a hole somewhere for future consumption.

Chickens simply can't eat all of the shell & yolk etc w/o leaving a huge mess.

4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    Quote:I agree, sounds like a rat or a snake! so sorry you lost all of your eggs.. [​IMG]

5. WV_Hillbilly70

WV_Hillbilly70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Nashville, Indiana
    Maybe it was midget_farms....thier tag says they can eat 50 eggs!... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    or a dog. My dog ate 7 one night right out of the basket while my back was turned.

8. zDoc

zDoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Farmington NM
    Quote:[​IMG]

Very funny. [​IMG]

9. You guys crack me up.

I have drawn a conclusion though. Those chickens DID and I repeat DID eat them all. It was during the day so no varmits were out and the dog and the cat won't eat the shells.

Trust me, I am Very careful now !!

10. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Once one of mine laid from the roost and it broke. One of the chickens sampled it, because there was yolk on her face. I guess I'm lucky they never put two and two together. (Knocking wood, just to be safe.)

But there were telltale signs: egg shell, a big wet spot, eggy face, yolk wiped on the wall. I think if your flock had eaten all those eggs, there would have been evidence. MY chickens DON"T clean up after themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by