Could this be bumblefoot?

party_in_the_coop

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2021
Hello! Today I noticed my hen severely limping, not putting weight on her foot and acting lethargic, keeping to herself in her hole.
I washed it in warm water and looked for scars or signs of injury but nothing, only a bloated foot and red spot in picture three.
I took some pictures if someone feels to take a look it would be much appreciated!
Picture two is her healthy foot - for comparison. Although in the pictures her sore foot looks much less bloated.

Attachments

• claw1.jpg
    claw1.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 5
  • claw2.jpg
    claw2.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 1
  • claw3.jpg
    claw3.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 1
  • claw4.jpg
    claw4.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 2
Not really, except for this little red spot, there was a bit of a flake on top of it.
Her main red spot just above has become more bloated and changed to a deeper shade of purple.

Attachments

• claw3.jpg
    claw3.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 2
I have dealt with bumble foot an number of times, and I would say no that does not look like bumble foot to me. In my experience there is usually a good amount of swelling around the area that is bumbled, and there is almost always a hard scab on the bottom of the bumble. I have had bumbles, on the toes, but most commonly it happens on the bottom of the foot. I'm hardly an expert but to me it doesn't look that swollen.

If you think that there is some sort of infection going on you could always coat the foot in triple, or whatever you like to use and wrap it to keep the medicine on it, but I can't see from your photos any where that is bumbled which would indicate the need for a minor operation.

Is there any possibility this is a joint injury or bruise? Could she have gotten her foot caught somewhere? Does the toe move in any directions it shouldn't (which would indicate a break)?

It's not all that hard for a chicken to get a toe caught in the chicken wire if there is a scuffle in the house or even if the bird just gets startled and runs into it.

I agree with you it does not look like any of the bumblefoot cases I have seen posted online, I've never had one luckily.
Today the red area has swollen some more and has become darker, it looks a bit like a boil. Is this what a bruise looks on a chicken foot?
I have a piece of chicken wire I have been meaning to take away protecting a tree in the coop, maybe she just got it caught there.
The toe seems to move normally but she's still barely moving around.

Attachments

• c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom