Could this be Coccidiosis? (Graph. PICS)

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
One of my birds did this last night--10/9. At first, I thought large roundworm; then looking more closely, I feel certain that it isn't.

Then Cocci came to mind. Bird is incredibly active and has never done this before, that I have seen anyway. There is no blood in the poop, either.

Any thoughts?

You can see the greenish contents in what seems to be a 'package'.........

DSC_2950.jpg

In this pic, all the suspicious pieces are gathered together. All little sausage-like things...

DSC_2952.jpg

Here are the contents of the most notable 'package', with the reddish casing to the left on my finger. Green material. I hope the red isn't her intestines.........

DSC_2953.jpg

I appreciate any thoughts. BTW, her other droppings overnight looked ok. Just this funky one.........

If this bird is of laying age and it is blood (which from your fotos looks like it) and you have never wormed then I would take a guess at worms (capillaria is most notably quoted as a cause > cocci happens with chicks or young birds)
You can best worm your birds IMHO with ivomec EPRINEX (ivomec is the name brand) ... do a search on that and you will find the amount to put on the skin at the base of the neck/shoulder area.

Quote:
Diana:

Thank you:

I really want to worm em all, like so many folks do annually. But I have heard that if I use Ivermectin/Ivomec, I'll have to toss the eggs.

Is that true??????

Do you or does anyone know the withdrawal period for Ivermectin. Also, for what it's worth KJ Theodore, a reputable 'semi pro' I call her, uses Ivermectin to worm her birds in Fall and Spring. Then what about withdrawal?????

You can use Ivomec Eprinex PourOn. It's a cattle wormer and there is no withdrawal for meat or milk, so in my own little mind, I've translated that to no withdrawal for eggs, either, but that's at your own discretion. It's easy to use, just needleless syringe on the skin at the back of the neck. If you do the Invermectin, I'd wait at least awhile before eating the eggs, maybe two weeks is generally done. I've only wormed my entire flock twice and the oldest ones are going on 3 years old. I did it the first time because I did see a worm in a rooster's poop.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you Cyn. I thought Ivermectin and Ivomec Eprinex were the same thing, just maybe one was a brand name or something like that. Huh...

edit:

Sheesh, that stuff is expensive! I think I'll wait a little and observe more and then get it if it seems a prudent course of action. Just don't wanna get it if I don't need it--and then have the 250ml bottle expire on me--unused.........

Last edited by a moderator:
We need a poop master. Any chance that's a cecal poop? I have one that dropped some that looked like that and then she went into a full moult. Poor sweetie.... now her feathers are growing back and she hasn't had another red crayola plop since. It's not cocci.... I had a couple birds with that this past spring... poops look quite different.

WOW its like deja vu I just had one of my hens poops look just like that. I too have never wormed them. Guess im gonna be stoppin at fleet farm tonight. Hope your chicken feels better soon

Sussex:

Thanks. I don't think that is a cecal, at least not compared to the cecals I've seen from this flock so far. But anything is possible with a living creature, eh?

Check out this neat poo link! http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568

I'd
check on the Ivomec as oral....you might do a search on this forum to see, or google on it. Ivermectin is given orally, and eggs should not be consumed for some time afterwards--depending on your private rules of discretion, like Speckled mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey get your finger out of the chicken poop! Use a stick or a glove!

Anyway, any chance that could be a table scrap, garden scrap ect. Blood usually looks, well bloody--- mucus and red strings or clots. That looks like a tube made from red material.

My chickens will pass apple skin pieces, tomato skins, beet bits ect that sometimes look like tissue bits/blood or or parasites until I inspect them further and remember that- oh, I fed them all of those XYZ's yesterday.

It may not be a real problem. If you know who it is, you can bring a fecal sample to a vet and find out if there are round worms or not (or other parasites). Chances are though, if you do not deworm regularly and they have any dirt/yard access- they DO have some degree of parasites.

A low burden is tolerable by a healthy bird, a sick/old/young bird can easily get overrun. Most of us don't like thinking about any of our animals having any GI parasites at all, and want to treat on a regular basis. Also a bird with any GI parasites is constantly shedding the eggs into the environment for others to pick up. Unfortunately it is not as easy to find a safe, labeled and effective med to treat our chickens with as it is with the family dog. But that is another thread....

Back
Top Bottom