Could this still be coccidiosis?

Jun 12, 2022
Southern California Mountains
I have one chick out of 3 that’s way slower and much skinnier than the other two. The other two chicks are very active and rambunctious but this one is very sleepy and slow. They’re about 4 weeks old. Due to her behavior and thinness I treated them with 1/2 tsp of liquid corid in their quart sized waterer for 5 days (no vitamins or anything else). She seemed better a couple of days after and now shes standing around sleeping again. She drinks a lot and i see her eat and her crop does get full, however shes so skinny and slow still. I attached photos of the chick and her poo. It’s a little mucousy looking. I have noticed quite a bit of intestinal shedding in all of the chicks poo as well. Wondering if I should start another round of corid again? Or is is perhaps something else causing her to act this way?
2C7823E4-3B8D-4C34-A2C9-D0CA54E66304.jpeg

80A7EB53-D78A-4FB9-80ED-7446D1956D25.jpeg

4AA6F98C-62D9-49CB-B5FA-BBD01F570793.jpeg

I have one chick out of 3 that’s way slower and much skinnier than the other two. The other two chicks are very active and rambunctious but this one is very sleepy and slow. They’re about 4 weeks old. Due to her behavior and thinness I treated them with 1/2 tsp of liquid corid in their quart sized waterer for 5 days (no vitamins or anything else). She seemed better a couple of days after and now shes standing around sleeping again. She drinks a lot and i see her eat and her crop does get full, however shes so skinny and slow still. I attached photos of the chick and her poo. It’s a little mucousy looking. I have noticed quite a bit of intestinal shedding in all of the chicks poo as well. Wondering if I should start another round of corid again? Or is is perhaps something else causing her to act this way?
View attachment 3479920
View attachment 3479923
View attachment 3479925
I had a chick with this SAME problem. He ate and ate but his crop stayed completely empty. He was about four weeks old when he really started to slow down. He died, unfortunately. 😔
Has she always acted strange compared to the other two? If so, I'm guessing it's a problem she had from birth. But it couldn't hurt to give her a little corid, just in case.

This is the best info I have for you, but this lady has helped me a lot with chicken emergencies. @speckledhen
I know how hard it is when somthing like this happens. Wishing you the best of luck!

I had a chick with this SAME problem. He ate and ate but his crop stayed completely empty. He was about four weeks old when he really started to slow down. He died, unfortunately. 😔
Has she always acted strange compared to the other two? If so, I'm guessing it's a problem she had from birth. But it couldn't hurt to give her a little corid, just in case.

This is the best info I have for you, but this lady has helped me a lot with chicken emergencies. @speckledhen
I know how hard it is when somthing like this happens. Wishing you the best of luck!
When I first picked her up she was actually one of the most active chicks and was always running around and curious then a week and a half later she just started getting slower while the others were getting more active… her crop fills up after she eats but she just remains so skinny. Just two days ago, right after the initial corid treatment, she was perkier than she’s been for a while and was actually dust-bathing and scratching around a lot.

Poor little thing. Honestly, I think you may be dealing with an incurable internal issue with this sweet baby. When I've done all I can and it remains the same, that's usually the case. Some things cannot be fixed much as we strive to make it all better for these lovely animals. Could be that she has an internal defect that is preventing her from processing her food correctly. That poop is very odd, not sure I've seen anything like it. I'm sorry I don't have anything more to offer here. It's the worst thing about keeping and raising chickens, the things we simply have no control over. If you continue to try, a drop or two of liquid vitamins like PolyViSol without iron every day in her beak is all I can offer at this point. I do that until it's obvious that nothing is going to help.

It's possible to have a bacterial infection along with coccidiosis. Corid alone may help with the coccidia, but you need an antibiotic for the bacteria.

Call around to your pet stores or feed stores and pigeon supply shops for this antibiotic. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r or order it from Jedds. It goes in the water with or without the Corid so treat all the chicks. The intestinal shed is a symptom of intestinal bacterial when it is more than a tiny once-in-a-while amount.

It's possible to have a bacterial infection along with coccidiosis. Corid alone may help with the coccidia, but you need an antibiotic for the bacteria.

Call around to your pet stores or feed stores and pigeon supply shops for this antibiotic. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r or order it from Jedds. It goes in the water with or without the Corid so treat all the chicks. The intestinal shed is a symptom of intestinal bacterial when it is more than a tiny once-in-a-while amount.
I ordered the sulfa powder from jedds. It says estimated delivery date is Thursday… hoping she can hang on until then. Is it possible for a bacterial infection to outwardly affect only one chick and the others acting perfectly fine (despite the intestinal shedding in the poo)?

Good. Yes, intestinal bacteria can affect infected chicks differently according to each immune system and how robust it is.

It wouldn't hurt to do one more thing just in case infection isn't the primary problem, though everything points to infection. Give the sick chick some coconut oil on the off chance it's constipated. This happens frequently in this age group as their human keeper is offering new treats and foods. I had it happen to a chick after she ate too many live meal worms.

Measure out one teaspoon of coconut oil, and divide it into pea size pieces and chill until solid. Then push each piece into the beak until all the oil is in the chick. Within a hour or two, you should see a sizeable poop and see the chick begin to behave normally again. If this doesn't happen, at least this base is covered.

Good. Yes, intestinal bacteria can affect infected chicks differently according to each immune system and how robust it is.

It wouldn't hurt to do one more thing just in case infection isn't the primary problem, though everything points to infection. Give the sick chick some coconut oil on the off chance it's constipated. This happens frequently in this age group as their human keeper is offering new treats and foods. I had it happen to a chick after she ate too many live meal worms.

Measure out one teaspoon of coconut oil, and divide it into pea size pieces and chill until solid. Then push each piece into the beak until all the oil is in the chick. Within a hour or two, you should see a sizeable poop and see the chick begin to behave normally again. If this doesn't happen, at least this base is covered.
Is there any other type of oil I can give her for this? I don’t have any coconut oil, just extra virgin olive oil and canola oil.

Just wondering, are intestinal bacterial infections contagious to other adult chickens? My chicks have been in a separate area in the run that the adult chickens have access to in the evening and early morning before the chicks are let out. How do they even contract this in the first place? I’ve never even dealt with coccidiosis in chicks before, just in my adult hens when I moved properties.

Back
Top Bottom