1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Could use a bit of help sexing these birds...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Trina Bambina, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Trina Bambina

Trina Bambina In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    North Georgia
    [​IMG]
    I know the one on the right is a roo...curious about the one on the left...thinking it is a pullet. They are 16 weeks old.

This one is a roo for sure...it is the bird on the right, above
    [​IMG]

Pullet?
    [​IMG]

a couple of more pics of bird on left (above)
    [​IMG]

Also, I can't find a pic, but if I have a BR who shipped in with 11 other roos, but this bird does not have the erect tail, or darker red comb/wattle that the others have, it is more of a raspberry color... is it possible it is a pullet? It is also much calmer...I don't recall seeing it doing the raised hackle "dancing" that all the others are doing... I did not notice a difference in color in the barring (read somewhere that pullets will be darker than roos).

Thanks for your help!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Songster

I don't see any features that would indicate a rooster on your buckeyes. :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. Has "he" crowed? If not, I also don't see anything about the buckeye that indicates he's a cockerel. They all look like pullets to me.

4. Muffinburgler

Muffinburgler Chirping

Feb 8, 2012
    Watsonville, CA
    Your rooster looks like a pullet to me. There's nothing on "him" that says boy. Everyone in the pictures looks like a pretty lady.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I don't see saddle feathers on either bird.

7. cheeperchick

cheeperchick Chirping

Aug 12, 2013
    NM
    Those look pretty girly to me
    ;)

8. Trina Bambina

Trina Bambina In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    North Georgia
    Oh, I could KISS you all!![​IMG][​IMG]

I have had such bad luck with buying chicks that are supposed to be hens and getting roosters instead!!

Yippee!!!! [​IMG]

And it just proves that I know NOTHING!! [​IMG]

Thanks!

P.S. There haave been neither crowing nor eggs...is it true that RIR start laying around 20-22 weeks?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    20-22 weeks is an average, but I'm not seeing it for your birds. Neither one have a developed comb or wattle, the hallmark of sexual maturity/fertility that indicates eggs are incoming. Your girls should start growing those fairly soon, usually the big comb comes a few weeks before eggs. Don't freak out when they grow combs, those are both female.

A pic of your barred rock would help. The barred rocks in the first pic look to be hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by