Could use a bit of help sexing these birds...

Trina Bambina

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
North Georgia

I know the one on the right is a roo...curious about the one on the left...thinking it is a pullet. They are 16 weeks old.

This one is a roo for sure...it is the bird on the right, above

Pullet?

a couple of more pics of bird on left (above)

Also, I can't find a pic, but if I have a BR who shipped in with 11 other roos, but this bird does not have the erect tail, or darker red comb/wattle that the others have, it is more of a raspberry color... is it possible it is a pullet? It is also much calmer...I don't recall seeing it doing the raised hackle "dancing" that all the others are doing... I did not notice a difference in color in the barring (read somewhere that pullets will be darker than roos).

Thanks for your help!

Oh, I could KISS you all!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

I have had such bad luck with buying chicks that are supposed to be hens and getting roosters instead!!

Yippee!!!!
love.gif

And it just proves that I know NOTHING!!
he.gif

Thanks!

P.S. There haave been neither crowing nor eggs...is it true that RIR start laying around 20-22 weeks?

20-22 weeks is an average, but I'm not seeing it for your birds. Neither one have a developed comb or wattle, the hallmark of sexual maturity/fertility that indicates eggs are incoming. Your girls should start growing those fairly soon, usually the big comb comes a few weeks before eggs. Don't freak out when they grow combs, those are both female.

A pic of your barred rock would help. The barred rocks in the first pic look to be hens.

Back
Top Bottom