Could use some advice

Browneggers

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
Good evening, I am new at this forum. We have a hen about 20 weeks old, Black Austrolope, with what looks like a large inflamed area infront of her eye, her eye has drainage. We contacted our Vet, he does not work with chickens, referred us to another Vet he said that works with only birds. Went there today with the chicken, yes she only cares for birds, but not fowl. Could not help us with our chicken. I have noticed some of the older hens getting the same type of inflamed area. There no one in our area, as in Vet, that cares for chickens. I don't know where to turn to. Can someone help with some information please.

I have little knowledge in this area, I'd guess respiratory infection? But I'll give you a bump so someone more knowledgeable might see and answer. Good luck!

Stupid avian vet!!! I cannot stand it when a vet who specializes in birds will not see chickens. THey can mean as much to a person as does any expensive parrot.

Call your regular vet back and ask if he will prescribe baytril for her. Pills are a portion of the pill, based upon her weight; liquid is 1 ml per quart of drinking water if it is Baytril 100. You have to keep the liquid away from sunlight as that will degrade it.

If you cannot get a prescription, get Sulmet, Terramycin or Erythromycin. All these are available OTC at feed stores; the later two can be found in the bird and fish sections of most pet stores.

Quote:
Nice to have these drugs on hand. Sonoran do you know the dosages for these ? For Denegard ? I'm making up a little "Black Book" if you will of different meds and dosages.

Any other meds and dosages that people want to share would be appreciated. I just hate having to search for dosages at the last minute so I'm going to be prepared in hopes to never have to use them !!

Thanks

Thank you for the help, I will be checking with the vet in the morning.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom