Could ya'll help me determine?

dom's & barred rocks look the same except for one difference doms have a rose comb & rocks have a single comb apart from that they are identical. hope this helps you.

Quote:
OK, that would mean that the two reds are probably mixes of some kind (I see a lot of NHR in the roo), and the feather-legged barred birds are either feather-legged Cuckoo Marans or mixes too. I'm going to guess mixes, because Cuckoo Marans are pretty rare and pricey. You should find out for sure pretty soon. They'll start laying at 4-7 months old, if they lay normal brown eggs they're a Barred Rock mixes, if they lay dark brown eggs they're feather-legged Cuckoo Marans.
smile.png

Okay thanks. I check at least twice a day & none have started laying yet & my NHR or mix roo has only tried to crow twice & that was a couple of days ago. I've been tryin to get him to crow by crowing at him but so far no luck. I can't wait till he starts as that's one of the sounds I loved growing up on the farm. Memories are priceless! Ohh yea, how many roo's do you think I might have in the pictures? I want two roo's & I know that I have one for sure & a great possibility that the light colored young one is a roo. Thanks

I think you have two roos, and the rest pullets. For a peaceful flock, you should only have one rooster per flock. Or you can keep multiple roosters in a flock as long as there is a minimum of ten hens PER rooster, otherwise it can get nasty.

Well, I just learned something new again. I will have to get two of the Sex Link pullets from another buddy of mine so I can have ten hens to each roo. He offered to give me five Sex Link the other day & I told him I had enough for right now. My hen house is only 6'W, 7' deep & 8' tall but I have 1/2 acre that is chain link fenced in so my chickens come & go as they please & they just use the chicken house to roost in. I have made my mind up tonight though. I am going to pay for a years membership to this wonderful community & offer to help in anyway I can. Thank ya'll for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom